hevi-shot

Hello...Have heard it said that hevi-shot will give you more kill distance...better penetrating power....better patterns......what extent is the kill distance...the penetration...etc .reason I am asking , am trying to decide wether a 3.5 inch mag 12 bore or a 10 bore are the way to go....for goose shooting on the foreshore......intend to load My own cartridges which ever gun I choose...

cheers Alan

hevishot will kill further than most of us can shot accuratly (say between 40 to 60 yards).

hevishot is also very expensive but if your getting a 10 bore or 12 3 1/2" you can load cheaper steel shot and still shoot geese at very long ranges although with my experience youll have to use fast loads with aftermarket chokes to hold the pattern together.you can look on american reloading sites for good reloading data.

that said i do use a hevishot 12g 3" 42gram load for my foreshore goose work and never feel that i need anything bigger but when my stock runs out il switch to steel quite happyly

hevishot will kill further than most of us can shot accuratly (say between 40 to 60 yards).

hevishot is also very expensive but if your getting a 10 bore or 12 3 1/2" you can load cheaper steel shot and still shoot geese at very long ranges although with my experience youll have to use fast loads with aftermarket chokes to hold the pattern together.you can look on american reloading sites for good reloading data.

that said i do use a hevishot 12g 3" 42gram load for my foreshore goose work and never feel that i need anything bigger but when my stock runs out il switch to steel quite happyly

Those 3" 42 gram are they homeloads?

The days of the 10g are over!

I used nothing else but a 10g for 12 seasons, but for the last 6 or 7 years have been using a 3.5" 12g Xtrema.

You can get the same performance as the 10 when you homeload for the 12. Plus you can use it for Pigeons/Duck....etc and get used to using it rather than just a goose gun like a 10g.

The biggest advantage I see is the 12g is 4lbs lighter than the 10g, makes a big difference when you've got a long walk into position.

Cheers,

Mark.

Trust me it wont be long when you move back to hevi-shot as to be honest steel is piss poor & shouls be banned. Ok its better homeloaded but to me for geese steel just aint up to the job even in BBB compared with No.3 hevi-shot. I have never seen so many pricked & wounded geese in my life till the lead ban came in & fowlers with years of experience still have ago at high geese. M Robson is correct the 3.1/2" 12bore changed the fowling world & homeloaded are very good & take good loads of hevi-shot to give you good pellet count in a cartridge. Even the 3" hevi-shot loads kill geese well out but factory stuff is 34g now & you losse pellet count. The steel is ok early on when you can get geese close say 30yrd & less but 30yrd-60yrdhevi-shot rules when placed right. Iv seen some of my highest geese shot with 3" 34g hevi-shot unbileavable & i now have 70 to try. Yes it is expensive but i would rather pay & kill geese rather than wait on a goose come fly 20-30yrds fae me (dosent happen offten). Im now looking to homeload my goose loads in hevi-shot & try get a 36g-40g load that works for me.

Trust me it wont be long when you move back to hevi-shot as to be honest steel is piss poor & shouls be banned. Ok its better homeloaded but to me for geese steel just aint up to the job even in BBB compared with No.3 hevi-shot. I have never seen so many pricked & wounded geese in my life till the lead ban came in & fowlers with years of experience still have ago at high geese. M Robson is correct the 3.1/2" 12bore changed the fowling world & homeloaded are very good & take good loads of hevi-shot to give you good pellet count in a cartridge. Even the 3" hevi-shot loads kill geese well out but factory stuff is 34g now & you losse pellet count. The steel is ok early on when you can get geese close say 30yrd & less but 30yrd-60yrdhevi-shot rules when placed right. Iv seen some of my highest geese shot with 3" 34g hevi-shot unbileavable & i now have 70 to try. Yes it is expensive but i would rather pay & kill geese rather than wait on a goose come fly 20-30yrds fae me (dosent happen offten). Im now looking to homeload my goose loads in hevi-shot & try get a 36g-40g load that works for me.

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but why is hevi-shot so expensive?

Is it something in the process?

Do you think it would get cheaper in time or if more people used it?

hi crecca my 3" 42gram load is a homeload

v max i totally agree with you mate nothing can touch hevishot it is the best for geese.its just when my stock runs out i cant afford to buy it again but i know that my steel homeloads will kill out to very long ranges and so i have no probs using it.it works for me i cant knock it.

i see where your coming from too mark i just believe that a 10 bore is more capable for firing steel shot with the big pellets for geese

just my opinion

cheers

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but why is hevi-shot so expensive?

Because the makers have found out how much people are prepared to pay for it.

Barrel stretchers rule!

You only want a few people in a club to fire at everything within 70 yrds and all the rest have to follow or give up.