were am i going wrong

follow the subject

and your lens isn't ideal for what your tring to do.......you need to get in a little closer.....treat yourself to a 75-300 !!!!

and from the look of things......not the best light for action shots either.

hope that helps

sean

edited to add.........have it set on continuous focus when the dogs are running towards you !!!!!

hi thanks iv took some in day time as well around midday and light was ok but shots were same

iv got the chance ov a 75-300 canon and a sigma 18-200 not suer what the exact details are of them

continuous focus were do i find that thanks.

The sports mode on the 350d and almost all canons sets the shutter speed slower than you actually need to capture running dogs in focus. I always shoot in manual.

Obviously if you don't understand the camera and the settings fully it can be quite daunting to say the least. What i would advice is the following settings and try them mate. Set the camera to TV mode and set the shutter speed at around 800. if it's quite a bright day alter the iso to around 200 if it's a dull day set it at around 1000. Set the focus to centre spot and AI focus. You can alter the iso settings according to how bright the day is. If it's a real bright day you could alter the shutter speed to a higher setting i.e 1000+.. The best thing about digital camera's is you can play around with the settings and see the results immediately...

Hope this advice helps please let me know how you get on..

hi thanks iv took some in day time as well around midday and light was ok but shots were same

iv got the chance ov a 75-300 canon and a sigma 18-200 not suer what the exact details are of them

continuous focus were do i find that thanks.

The sports mode on the 350d and almost all canons sets the shutter speed slower than you actually need to capture running dogs in focus. I always shoot in manual.

Obviously if you don't understand the camera and the settings fully it can be quite daunting to say the least. What i would advice is the following settings and try them mate. Set the camera to TV mode and set the shutter speed at around 800. if it's quite a bright day alter the iso to around 200 if it's a dull day set it at around 1000. Set the focus to centre spot and AI focus. You can alter the iso settings according to how bright the day is. If it's a real bright day you could alter the shutter speed to a higher setting i.e 1000+.. The best thing about digital camera's is you can play around with the settings and see the results immediately...

Hope this advice helps please let me know how you get on..

so if i follow your way will that alow me to take the action shots im wanting

also is the shutter speed the iso you are talking about

if not were do i find the shutter speed in the settings thanks

You will want quite a high ISO at this time of year unless you are very well practiced at panning (very hard with dogs etc.) try to stay below 1200 though or you might start to get a lot of noise on your images.

I tend to use Aperture Priority, Continuous focus, around f8 (makes focussing easier but will decrease shutter speeds), aim for a shutter speed of 1/100s or less for nice sharp images...

Not knowing the 350d's characteristics, I'd suggest just getting closer to the dogs before shelling out on a big bit of glass, you may need to drop the f-stop right down to get acceptable shutter speeds and I'd bet on your current lens having a wider aperture at the bottom end than any 300mm lens costing less than £1500!

HTH

Lerk

Oh yeah, as always with this game - you can't beat practice to get better shots, get out in the garden and snap away till you get truly confident with shooting the sort of image you're after

I tend to use Aperture Priority, Continuous focus, around f8 (makes focussing easier but will decrease shutter speeds), aim for a shutter speed of 1/100s or less for nice sharp images...

hi were do i sort this out were on camera thansk.

how do i aim for shutter speed thanks

Sorry if this offends, but you either need to read your manual or sell the SLR and buy a compact camera!

Sorry if this offends, but you either need to read your manual or sell the SLR and buy a compact camera!

Thought this was a forum where us in the know,are available,and willing.To help all those in need of help.I dont look at the books,and find i get more,out of getting out there,and practice,practice,practice.Ive learned more,from folk telling me little tips,than i'll ever learn from any book.18/55.Evin with IS.The 18/55,is not a lens for sport,or action shots mate.I'll get back to you about those 2 lens's mate.At the moment im using the 18/200.But in saying that.The 75/300,is a better action lens,than the 18/200.Sorry im on here,in my daughters name.It wouldnt let me log on,in y own name,lately,and i couldnt be bothered,setting up a new account.

first image looks like youve caught the lens focousing in or out, if you put it on continuous shooting (as long as you have more than 2 or 3 and zoom in and out as you shoot you'll similar pics.

the two of the black dog...its motion blurr..

same as the others, so it looks like it was just too dark.

presumably your sports mode does everything on auto, like the iso so you'lll have been on the widest apature(f/) and highest iso it will set to.... so too dark basicaly, you'd need a tripod and stationary subjects or some other light (flash or huge lamp or something like that).

open up the iages and look at the file info, it'll tell you what shutte speed, apature and iso etc.. take note and remember what the light was like when you took the pictures, then you'll have a better idia when out snapping later as to weather you'll get much hand held or on a pod etc, stationary or moving objects.

edit...a well dirty lens can do weird stuff too...blocks the light out etc.

Edited by ghillies

Nice bit of zoom blur on the first shot... ;)

Go for the Canon 75-300 if it's still on offer, and read your camera manual... 1/100 sec is nowhere near fast enough for a running dog unless you are using a technique called "panning", when you follow the movement with the camera. This can be very effective if you're sideways on to the shot, but you do need to keep the camera level and the movement very smooth.

Thought this was a forum where us in the know,are available,and willing.To help all those in need of help.I dont look at the books,and find i get more,out of getting out there,and practice,practice,practice.Ive learned more,from folk telling me little tips,than i'll ever learn from any book.18/55.Evin with IS.The 18/55,is not a lens for sport,or action shots mate.I'll get back to you about those 2 lens's mate.At the moment im using the 18/200.But in saying that.The 75/300,is a better action lens,than the 18/200.Sorry im on here,in my daughters name.It wouldnt let me log on,in y own name,lately,and i couldnt be bothered,setting up a new account.

yes to the point need help so askn for it dont want to be told to go buy a digi

just when you get sorted get back to me dannyboi i know that not ya propper name thanks.

If you read my first response, you'll notice that I gave lots of advice on how to set up the camera to get the images he's after...

I shoot with a Nikon so I can't tell anyone how to put those settings into a Canon camera, but seeing as the shutter speed and aperture settings are the two most important settings on a camera (although technically the aperture is a lens function) it would not take much to read the manual and find out how to adjust it - if you can't be arsed to read the manual to find out how to do it, or what difference it makes to the resulting image, you would indeed be better off with a compact camera as that is exactly what you are using the dSLR as by using the automatic modes.

IMHO it is also pointless spending more money on expensive lenses until you can get good images with the current lens (unless you are paying enough to get a lens with f2 capabilities, which will then show up flaws in focussing techniques too) as any tele lens will emphasise any camera shake and will more than likely limit aperture size.

I did apologise in advance, but it was actually meant as a slight kick up the rear to start you learning about your camera and general photography principles!

Follow the advice given and find out a bit about how your camera works and with a bit of practice you'll soon be taking photos like this...

3290_72506333338_572138338_1835324_6591441_n.jpg4930_90675068338_572138338_2085589_5475062_n.jpg

Nikon D70 with 18-70mm stock kit lens - set up properly for the light conditions!

These were taken whilst having a bit of a practice session in the back garden

Edited by Lerk