hi, my pup is now about 9 weeks old, the past few days i have noticed his front left leg kinda bowed, he seems to be walking on the outside of his foot. i have had a gentle pull and stretch at the leg and he doesn't seem to be in any pain although when he is running about it is very noticeable.

he wasn't eating too great when i got him but he has come on really well and is eating all i am putting down to him, all his food is raw beef, pheasant and chicken wings

has anyone ever experienced this or seen it before? am gonna get him to the vet to get him looked at but any advice on here will be greatly appreciated.

Guest rabbiting dave

hi, my pup is now about 9 weeks old, the past few days i have noticed his front left leg kinda bowed, he seems to be walking on the outside of his foot. i have had a gentle pull and stretch at the leg and he doesn't seem to be in any pain although when he is running about it is very noticeable.

he wasn't eating too great when i got him but he has come on really well and is eating all i am putting down to him, all his food is raw beef, pheasant and chicken wings

has anyone ever experienced this or seen it before? am gonna get him to the vet to get him looked at but any advice on here will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds to me like it could have broke or damaged his leg at a very young age and instead of having fixed proper it has healed it self causing the bowing

it could be a lack of calcium mate,although how old the pup some pups look as if the bowing but maybe not the case,did see a pup a while back with this problem but with some good puppy food some extra calcium tablets lights walks no running should do the trick but it will take time.atb

It sounds to me like it could have broke or damaged his leg at a very young age and instead of having fixed proper it has healed it self causing the bowing

he has always seemed fit though mate, this has just started over the past few days, he doesn't seem to be in any pain and is happy and playfull with everyone

cheers for your reply

mick

Guest rabbiting dave

he has always seemed fit though mate, this has just started over the past few days, he doesn't seem to be in any pain and is happy and playfull with everyone

cheers for your reply

mick

he should be ok mate like the other bloke said just watch it dont run around to much I think its sa37 thats good for pups bones atb

it could be a lack of calcium mate,although how old the pup some pups look as if the bowing but maybe not the case,did see a pup a while back with this problem but with some good puppy food some extra calcium tablets lights walks no running should do the trick but it will take time.atb

thanks mate, al try him with some calcium tablets, al still get him to the vet though and have him checked over

cheers

mick

cheers for your reply

mick

he should be ok mate like the other bloke said just watch it dont run around to much I think its sa37 thats good for pups bones atb

cheers dave, al try that out

cheers

mick

raw meat alone has no calcium content mate, you get a liquid called osteocare from most chemists for 3 or 4 quid its in liquid form so easy to give the dog, should do the trick for you mate.

atb hare

just read the rest of the thread, 100% aint had any breaks or problems before he was bought, i bred him.

atb

Edited by Hare

raw meat alone has no calcium content mate, you get a liquid called osteocare from most chemists for 3 or 4 quid its in liquid form so easy to give the dog, should do the trick for you mate.

atb hare

just read the rest of the thread, 100% aint had any breaks or problems before he was bought, i bred him.

atb

i knew that bud, as i said, he always looked fit and healthy, got calcium tablets through today, al fire them into him, the wee man is doin great otherwise but its always good to get other folks opinions on things. definately a good buy and a well bred pup, thanks to "hare"

cheers mate, al keep you posted on his progress

atb

mcass123

Double check it's not something simple like a small corn or thorn or something on his foot, if he had one on the inside of his foot that would make him try to walk on the outside of it! They can be hard to see so press on his pads all over them and see if you find any tender spots.

I fed my lurcher pup bone meal as she was growing so fast, I don't know if it's cheaper than calcium tablets but a tin should last til he's fully grown so might be worth looking into?

went out to the pup this mornin, he was diving about all over the back garden, leg looks 100%hmm.gif

i got 2 boxes of calcium tablets off ebay so al give him them, dont suppose it will do him any harm??

started to vary his food too, raw, complete and vice versa

thanks for all who gave me advice

cheers

mcass123

Just a word of warning about adding extra calcium to the diet: this can actually cause more problems as the bones grow too fast but thin with no density. If you are feeding a good quality complete puppy food and/or whole carcases such as rabbit or chicken you shouldn't need to add any calcium to the diet. This is why I like to feed just raw: a mixture of beef (high protein), chicken and rabbit carcases (plenty of calcium but lower in protein) breast of lamb (fat for energy) and so on. A good balanced diet has a bit of everything in it, so you add eggs, fish, liver (not a lot) in the same way that you would eat: not just the same thing every day, but over the course of a week it balances out so the pup is getting everything it needs.

Wolf cubs in the wild managed without calcium tablets and their lives are much harder than any domestic dog's life could ever be, and all they get are whole carcases: they have to get all their calcium from the bones of their prey, and some of those Northern Alaskan wolves can grow over 30 inches in height and live to over 13 years! Not a lot wrong with their diet is there!