JR Pup's First Catch (?!)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Just had the Dogs out the front for a pee and Hannah, the JR pup scampered back into the kitchen to check inside her feeding crate for anything edible which may just have appeared there. God alone knows who must have been more surprised then; Her for finding the newt. The newt, for being grabbed by a white monster. Or me, for the fact that she then picked it up and brought it in here, onto my futon, for a closer examination!

And that's where I found them when I followed back in. Just sat there, on my bed, like buddies! Bless her! I only hope she knows her first rat isn't going to be so friendly!

Smooth Newt

DSC03632.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Moll; If that pond's anything like suitable, i.e. No Fishes!!! the amphibians will find It.

Anyway, 'introducing' newts is a funny business and often as not a waste of time and effort. But one thing I did once introduce, most successfully to a garden pond of the tiniest size was European Fire Bellied and Yellow Bellied Toads. They thrived. Only f*** up was putting both sorts in there - they interbred and became genetically worthless :( My bad. Stick to one or the other. Yellow Bellied, if ye can source them. Delightful little things.

Having said that; Releasing non native things is now illegal, so don't do it. Despite the fact that they'll not leave ye pond or do any harm. But it's Wrong. Brussels says so. And we all must obey Brussels :rolleyes:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Oh and, 'PS': Yeppers. I'll try to get some decent shots of Hannah 'today'. I'll be home all day and I'll tell ye what; She's fast shaping up into a little cracker! Just the right physical type and is learning something new every day. She's great fun to observe around the livestock and now I can even tell her to come through the stock fencing and follow me for miles, or just as easily tell her to stay in the yard with the other Dogs while I do exactly as I did last time, only without her company.

Best of all is, I can go off into town all day long and simply not think about her. Come back at night and there's her little feet, running about beneath the gate as the taxi's lights pass over it. Then she comes bundling out from beneath the gate and Tom knows to stop the motor dead till I get out and have her in my arms.

But the point is; My 'Stock's out there, just beyond that same gate or fence I told her not to pass today. She doesn't. Yet, in the morning, I'll step over that fence and call, " Come on, Hannah! " and she'll unhesitatingly pop through it and off we'll go :D F***in brilliant little Dog! She's fast turning into exactly what I'd dreamed of; A little partner for my trapping rounds. Long as she doesn't end up in one of my Coni's, she'll do alright! :icon_eek:

Picture or two to follow. Let ye get a look at how she's growing up :)

No, no fish. Plenty insects etc i dont know the names of....tiny shrimp like things, snails, black beetles etc, so im hoping its as good as sorted already if they are already here.

Hannah sounds delightful, and i understand exactly what you mean about wanting a dog to go mooching with. So much more relaxing and rewarding taking one steady dog out. My little Doris is a godsend in that dept, even more so because she doesnt kill anything, you might want to consider that with Hannah, a dog who will mark like a demon but will leave all the trapping and killing to you? You can then take in all the wildlife around you without having to 'keep an eye' on her. I am quite envious of people who can do that with their dogs, come home with stories of watching fox cubs play etc without the dogs screaming at the end of leads wanting to kill them, scaring them off.

But she will be what she will be and im sure she will be perfect for you. She sounds a nice steady dog already.

I for one think it would be brilliant for you to put a picture up every Thursday, with a resume of her new lessons learned, experiences, anecdotes :D There is nothing like the thrill of watching a new pup develop and grow...and the frustration at times :laugh:

Be nice to share it with you.

MOLL.