want to learn

Hi All

I'm Looking for help with learning the art of stalking boar. :icon_redface:

I have been shooting/hunting for about 20yrs and now fly bird of pray and still shoot, I have a farm that i fly my birds on that has boar but i haven't been on there long and i don't want to look like i'm taking the pi22.

so what i wanted to do was get the know-how and skill's behind me before i go up to him and ask, as i would'nt like to go out, shoot one and then stand there thinking eeerrr what do i do next :doh::no: and then the farm kicking me off.

So if there is someone that can help me, i would be more then greatful.

Meny thanks

look for wallows & nearby rub trees. when looking to draw them to a shooting spot, sour some corn (maize) put it in a puddle. deer & other things will eat it if left out but in a puddle only hogs will eat it. also take a burlap bag and soak in diesel or used motor oil, then wrap it around a rub tree or post & nail it on w/ fence staples. both will bring them around more often. night shooting w/a filtered light will be most productive. try to only shoot singles this way or you will educate the others & they'll get lamp shy. or use some sort of softer dog to find & bay (bail) them and shoot from close range.

as mentioned above find out the habits of the quarry( where are they feeding,lying up) as boar are very mobile this can be hard(they will use the same routes as foxes and lying up places will be common between different families). wallows are good spots to lay up( the tracks to and from them are better as you will discourage them from using sites).

baiting is good if a high seat is close by boar will find maize a spade deep,this keeps them at one spot for a while allowing you to dicern which you want to shoot.be carefull not to shoot the lead sow( not the first!!!and not necessarily the biggest) she will keep the group in check setting breeding cycles,habits etc and it is paramount that she is not taken. the best bet is to shoot the smallest of the group( anything around the 40-50 kilo mark).

the best stalking is early morning on standing corn(or at night) boar make a real row when feeding and wont hear you coming. they do not see well and up to 50 yards should be possible. if they get wind then they are off!!!!!!

if you have the space then stalking at good light( near full moon) can be very effective.they will try and stay in shadows and so should you. roe barking are a good sighn of boar at night as is alot of noise( sometimes like a horse coming through the undergrowth!!

you will be surprised how quiet they can be when they want to though( more like a fox moving!!).

your best bet is to read up on the habits and biology of boar ( only then can you use best practice when removing/culling)all of my books are in german.sorry.

january is the most active time of year( breeding season) with the males being very active and normally alone.

have fun.

as mentioned above find out the habits of the quarry( where are they feeding,lying up) as boar are very mobile this can be hard(they will use the same routes as foxes and lying up places will be common between different families). wallows are good spots to lay up( the tracks to and from them are better as you will discourage them from using sites).

baiting is good if a high seat is close by boar will find maize a spade deep,this keeps them at one spot for a while allowing you to dicern which you want to shoot.be carefull not to shoot the lead sow( not the first!!!and not necessarily the biggest) she will keep the group in check setting breeding cycles,habits etc and it is paramount that she is not taken. the best bet is to shoot the smallest of the group( anything around the 40-50 kilo mark).

the best stalking is early morning on standing corn(or at night) boar make a real row when feeding and wont hear you coming. they do not see well and up to 50 yards should be possible. if they get wind then they are off!!!!!!

if you have the space then stalking at good light( near full moon) can be very effective.they will try and stay in shadows and so should you. roe barking are a good sighn of boar at night as is alot of noise( sometimes like a horse coming through the undergrowth!!

you will be surprised how quiet they can be when they want to though( more like a fox moving!!).

your best bet is to read up on the habits and biology of boar ( only then can you use best practice when removing/culling)all of my books are in german.sorry.

january is the most active time of year( breeding season) with the males being very active and normally alone.

have fun.

Thank's you two that iis a start for me :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

:icon_redface: well i have found them, and getting them feeding in one spot and i have been watching them closely seen 7 so far but there may be more.

But i am just having aproblem to know which is around the 40-50kilo mark.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks for look or posting :bye:

Around 40-50 kilos is just an average sort of size boar, they are usually a lot smaller than domestic pigs, can you get any photos of them? Are you shooting form a highseat or stalking them? Did you have much trouble getting wild boar on your firearms certificate? What calibre are you using?

dont know if this picture will work but this is what a 40 kil ish boar looks like dead!

Edited by ross16689

40 kilo is around knee high( average person/not standing in fallen leaves :tongue2: )

if you have any distance markers it helps to know the height of them.

remember the heart sits deep in a winter pig( optical illusion due to the feathers on the back and neck).

let us know how it goes bud.

good luck.