FAC APPLICATION

Guest whippet

You have to be 14 to own and be able to use a firearm on your own on land where you have permission to shoot. Although the usual age restrictions on buying apply, you have to be given the gun as a gift or loan, same for ammo.

You have to be 14 to own and be able to use a firearm on your own on land where you have permission to shoot. Although the usual age restrictions on buying apply, you have to be given the gun as a gift or loan, same for ammo.

14 yrs old you have to be under supervision and your not allowed to buy ammo or gun's 17 is the age you have to be to be able to go on your own and be able to buy guns and ammo :big_boss:

Guest whippet

I know you aren't allowed to buy guns or ammo at that age, that's why I said the stuff about being given/lent guns and ammo. And I do believe that if you hold an FAC you can shoot unacompanied from the age of 14 on private land where you have permission to shoot.

Guest baldie

I,m a little outa touch with the age limits, as its a long time since i was 17, but i seriously doubt , unsupervised usage of a firearm, by anyone under 17. If youre struggling with the forms jordan, pm me, i know most of the answers, or the things they want to hear :good:

im sure it says 14 i think its stupid that you can go out with a fire arm on your own at 14 but a shotgun at 15.

thanks baldie but im a stuffed anyway as even if i do get it granted how am i gonna get a rifle :( i shoul of really though it through.

Guest whippet

Sent anb email to D&C firearms dept. asking them to clarify this. And I was wrong, you do have to be accompanied by soemone until you are 17, here is the exact quote "You can hold a firearm certificate over 14, however these hold conditions to do so:

1. Carrying a firearm or ammunition belonging to another person who holds a certificate, and they are giving instructions for the use of the firearm for sporting purposes. OR

2. As a member of a Home Office Approved rifle club when possession is during the use of the gun in connection with target shooting. OR

3. When using the firearm when shooting on a miniature rifle range or shooting gallery.

In cases other than this, including yours, you cannot possess a firearm unaccompanied until you are 17, it is an offence for anyone under 17 to possess a firearm unless under the above circumstances. "

Which is a bit of an arse, and basically means unless you have a parent who has an FAC, or someone who can mentor you/take you out shooting, you can't do sod all but shoot paper targets. Which is boring and there is a 6 month probation period for all gun clubs where you have to have a full adult member with you when you shoot :realmad: .