Jill still in season?

Guest Lurchers2006

My jill ferret has been bred this year but is still in season and its september is this normal

Just a few questions

When you say your jill was bred this year did she have kits? if so did anything happen to the kits? or has she not come out of season since being mated? was it a vasectomised hob she was mated to? was the jill and hob first time breeders? Is there any discharge from her back end?

I will deal with the discharge thing first, if there is any get her to the vets.

If she was bred and had kits early she might come back into season again.

If anything happened to the kits either dying or she killed them the she will come back into season.

If she did not come out of season after being put with the hob it was not a succseful mating, did you see the deed being done? or did you just let them get on with it and hope it happened?

If it was a vasectomised hob you mated her to she will go through a phantom pregnacy, but she would have come out of season but could come back into season after 42 days the length of the pregnacy

The same can happen to first time breeders.

Its the physical mating (ie penetration) that brings a jill out of season, it gets a bit rough when he throws her around but thats so she will start to ovulate and release the eggs then the sperm can get at them. We are now near the end of the breeding season for this year if she is still swollen and showing no signs of going down then I would take her to the vets.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Mrs FT

:diablo:

Some ferrets will stay in season quite late in the year, had one brought in to visit with Bandit (my vasectomised hob ) a couple of days ago.

She also had a litter earlier this season.

Would'nt start to worry just yet but as everyone says keep an eye on her and if you are really concerned get her to a vet.

Regards FT