what is the difference

Guest irish terrier

Guest irish terrier

does anybody know why the lakeland terrier from working stock is so different to that of the kennel club?

if the dogs started out as the same breed how and when did things change?

the only things that i can think of are that the working strain were breed with other workers to ensure the best pups were produced. but if the pedigree lakelands started out as workers how did they loose there true heritage? if you were a breeder and you wanted good looking dogs then surley you would use the best dogs from the working lot. so how did they become unsuitable for working?

i am puzzled and if anyone can explain things to me then i would be greatfull.

i know that the long narrow heads are desired amongst the pedigree lot and the more substantial heads are used for working which has probably come from other breeds??? i dont't know though so correct me if i am wrong.

if that was the case then wouldnt the pedigree be related more to the lakeland because i know that that lot would never use other breeds in there strain, or would they?

[bANNED TEXT] do u lot think anyways?

working lakeland terriers are the best though in my opinion. they have a stong head and amazingly strong bodys with powerfull necks and legs. i have got mates who have rott e s and they say lakies are shit but i think big fat shit slow druwlin ugly rott e s r turd!

before i got my irish terrier i was looking at german pinschers. they are very powerfull dogs and they come in nice coloure 2. r they used for anything?

jon

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Short answer, Jon, is that the Kennel Club has absolutely Never yet failed to totally ruin what ever Dog it got it's hands on.

How so? Simple: Those types breed for Form before Function. It doesn't matter a jot to them wether the Dog is ever going to be capable of the tosh they weave into their Breed Standards, so long as it Looks (to their eyes) like it might be able to.

Conversley; Most Working Dog men care far less what the Dog Looks like (Obviously, many have broad preferances). But a Dog proven capable of doing what's it's been bred for matters far, far more to such people than one with 'Just the right' ear carriage.

Guest irish terrier

i know all of that but if u put the 2 side by side u have got 2 completley different dogs. how have they changed from a big strong head to a narrow long head? arhh i can not understand how if they were the same dog to start with! cheers for your comments they r helping me 2 slowly learn! i am new 2 all of this and i feel like a kid thats been off for a week at school and missed all the action! jon

It all starts with a breed standard, and the breed standard would have been agreed by a commitee of breeders with varying interests.They will have decided what "stamp" of dog they would like call a lakeland and that would have been what people/breeders/rossette hunters etc.would strive for perfection from. :guitar:

As time has gone on it has been more benificial for certain breeders/kennels to over state certain breed particulars,eg. in the case of the Fox Terrier,a deep chest for heart and lung room :wacko:

German Sheperd dog,sloping back and short back legs :wacko:

And the less said about the bull dog the better :11:

So we come to the working Lakeland,colour ? who give's a toss,staright legs ?,one at each corner will do.

Teeth ?,yes please some up the front end.

Coat ?,left it in the car mate.

All that matters is it doe's the job we want it to do,that goes for all the working breeds.Its form following function, as D.S. says.

Now not all of us will agree on the right "stamp" of working terrier,cos what i like you may not like but what we all do agree on is that it should first and formost WORK,whatever it looks like :signthankspin: