rat illnesses

Guest Duzabit

Dogs can catch leptospirosis from rats, it can be fatal.

Make sure there jabbed up especially if worked regularly to rats.

A mate of mine lost a good bitch to this a couple of year back.

Duz.

Same as Millet...ive killed a few rats with dogs, and have never had any problems...once they have killed a few, they dont seem to swell nearly as bad aas when they first start...all my dogs where jabbed and given boosters every year.

Kye,..

Guest MOLLY

What Is Leptospirosis?

Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease carried by a microscopic worm like organism called Leptospira interrogans. Many animals, both domestic and wild, carry the organism in their kidneys and excrete the leptospires into the environment. Man or other animals that come into contact with the infected urine can contract the disease.

What Types Of Animals Carry Leptospires?

Most mammals either carry or shed leptospires. The most important one is the Rat.

How Do Rat's Get Leptospirosis - Will They Become Ill?

A unique biological balance exists in order that the rat survives and excretes the leptospires into the environment. The rats become infected when young, if they survive, they develop local resistance within their kidney cells without producing any pathogenic effects. This enables the leptospires to multiply without damaging the kidneys of the rat. Transmission of leptospires between rats occurs at birth from the mother or during mating.

How Many Different Kinds Of Leptospirosis Are There?

Leptospirosis is caused by the bacterium called Leptospira. There are two different kinds of Leptospira, the pathogenic L. interrogans and the harmless L. biflexa. The pathogenic variety has 207 different types, all slightly different from each other but related. Usually different- animals will carry different types of leptospires in their kidneys, for example, the rat carries the agent of Weil's Disease (Icterohaemorhagiae), the dog carries Canicola and the cow harbours Hardjo.

How Does The Rat Spread The Leptospires?

The rat harbours the leptospires in their kidneys, when they urinate the leptospires are passed into the environment. As rats urinate almost constantly this can be a lot of leptospires!

How Do You Catch Leptospirosis?

Man becomes infetced with leptospires when he comes in contact either with the contaminated urine of infected animals, or indirectly when the animal urinates into the surrounding environment, such as rivers, lakes, canals or foodstuff. The leptospires gain entry into the body through cuts and abrasions in the skin, or through mucous membranes of the nose, ears and mouth.

Will I Get Leptospirosis If I Handle Dead Rats?

Recently killed rats are as dangerous as live ones. The leptospires can survive in the urine for several days and if the urine has contaminated the surrounding ground, which must be moist, then the leptospires can survive many weeks!

Will I Get Leptospirosis From Rat Droppings?

If the droppings are also moist with urine then there is a risk. However if the droppings are old and dry then the risk diminshes.

Will I Get Leptospirosis From Being Bitten?

There is little evidence that saliva contains leptospires, however, the mechanical injury of breaking intact skin and the possibility of the presence of urine in the mouth of the animal, if it has recently groomed itself, means there could be a risk.

What Are The Symptoms Of Weil's Disease?

The first signs of Weil's Disease is a flu like illness about 3 - 4 days contact with either the rat or it's urine. Within 6 to 7 days a severe headache with the possibility of meningitis follows! By days 8 to 10, kidney failure and the beginnings of jaundice will become obvious. If there is no treatment then severe kidney failure, jaundice and the spreading of the organism to the tissues of major organs such as the liver, pancreas and intestines resulting in heart failure follows.

Are All Types Of Leptospirosis As Serious As Weil's Disease?

No. Weil's Disease is the most serious, the other varieties are usually less severe. Most develop within the first 3 to 5 days with a severe flu like illness, severe headaches and genral aches and pains. If the illness is not treated, then they could develop into meningitis or occasionally jaundice and kidney failure.

What Treatment Is Available?

Treatment is usually antibiotics. In Weil's Disease, penicillin is given intravenously (usually in hospital). With less severe types Ampicillin is given by mouth.

How Common Is Weil's Disease?

There are only about 40 - 50 reported cases of Weil's Disease per year. However, there is considerable under-reporting and therefore the numbers maybe far greater than we're aware of. A recent survey showed that only 10% of cases are reported. The true numbers could be around 400 per year.

Is It Only Rat Catchers Who Catch Weil's Disease?

No, anyone that comes into contact with either urine or urine infected water or foodstuffs is vulnerable.

What Should I Do To Minimise The Risk Of Weil's Disease?

Avoid rats! Wear gloves. Cover ALL cuts and abrasions with waterproof dressings and make sure hands are thoroughly washed after contact with animals. Wear any protective clothing and don't eat, drink or smoke without first washing your hands!

How Can I Find Out If I Have Leptospirosis?

If you are suffering from a flu like illness with severe headaches AND conjunctivitis (irritation and reddening of the eyes), then visit your G.P telling him/her that you are at risk from leptospirosis. He/She will then arrange a blood test to confirm whether you have the disease.

Is There A Vaccine Against The Disease?

There are no vaccines available for humans. Cattle and dogs can be vaccinated but rodents cannot.

Other hints and tips are NEVER pick a rat up by its tail, the tail is the thing which trails through the unine, pick it up by the back of its neck if you have to touch it

My dogs get their initial parvo, lepto etc injections when pups i dont booster them, i think the little and ofter contact they have with rats helps to build their immune system, plus the inj`s only cover a couple of strains of lepto and there are several others. You might find when yours dogs are bitten for the 1st time the bite and surrounding area may swell very quickly, in my experience this only happens with the 1st one or 2 bites, they just dont seem to swell anymore......;treat the bite as you would any other.

MOLL.