3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Bull

am on the same boat aswell. my pups 8 months old ave been taking it out once a week on the lamp and once during the day. a think its just how the dog grows and how mature it is, all dogs are different but a trained it and watched it for days on end growing and learning and when every clicked together a waited a few weeks then a knew it was time to take it out. a know ave made the right decision because the dogs showing good signs. all dogs are different the only person that will know if the dogs ready is the person whos trained it and reared it

atb john

Edited by johnbhoy

Thanks mate, she is 7 1/2 month old. Just started taking her out for a quick shine, a couple of runs, getting her used to the lamp and recall etc, nothing serious yet! :good:

mr jones----7 1/2 months ffs he's still growing , knacker it's growth plates and it'll cripple the f****r, let it learn to walk before you force it to run, it's a hard life for dogs , without entering them too young, dont say i have'nt warned you of the possible dangers

my puppys 4months and im running im on the lamp he loves it all most pulls my arm off when he see a rabbit

Well dun Mr jones good to cache first rabbit i have the same breed but he is only 11 weeks i also have a coli cross greyhound and i whippet/greyhound bull/greyhound the coli cross is 12 months shies started caching well now started her stedy at 8 months, so good luck with yours

I'm no expert but have had and been bought up with dogs all of my life. No one man or dog are the same, differant training methods and dogs responces make for how they and us work together as a teams to reach whatever the aquiered goal is. Be it rabbits or whatever. But, one thought I look upon when reading the debates on entering lurchers is that who holds up the african hunting dog in its wild enviroment? Where is its natural starting point? When do the parents say your such and such an age you can't or you can come out today? Nature tells them doesn't it?

Just a bit of food for thought.

Cheers Weedy

Ps. I know there ain't no african hunting dogs wondering the fens and the like. Lol!

I'm no expert but have had and been bought up with dogs all of my life. No one man or dog are the same, differant training methods and dogs responces make for how they and us work together as a teams to reach whatever the aquiered goal is. Be it rabbits or whatever. But, one thought I look upon when reading the debates on entering lurchers is that who holds up the african hunting dog in its wild enviroment? Where is its natural starting point? When do the parents say your such and such an age you can't or you can come out today? Nature tells them doesn't it?

Cheers Weedy

Ps. I know there ain't no african hunting dogs wondering the fens and the like. Lol!

Yes, I see where you are coming from, that thought has crossed my mind too, the only thing I would say is that in nature the animal has evolved naturally to suit it's NATURAL surroundings. With domestic dogs us humans have used years of selective breeding to basically make an animal in to what we want it and that can bring problems, if you look at the greyhound it's very unlikely an animal like this would ever have developed in this way naturally, injuries in the wild would make sure of that....you're right though...food for thought and I do agree with you to some extent!

atb Mr Jones

Cheers Weedy

Yes, I see where you are coming from, that thought has crossed my mind too, the only thing I would say is that in nature the animal has evolved naturally to suit it's NATURAL surroundings. With domestic dogs us humans have used years of selective breeding to basically make an animal in to what we want it and that can bring problems, if you look at the greyhound it's very unlikely an animal like this would ever have developed in this way naturally, injuries in the wild would make sure of that....you're right though...food for thought and I do agree with you to some extent!

atb Mr jones

You have made a good point there Mr jones. Certainly a greyhound wouldn't have naturaly evolved the way it is today. I suppose the point I'm trying to put over is that it realy is down to the individual. In the past when I've been training a pup I tend to let it take the lead. If you get my drift? And, I don't mean in the literal sense either Lol! But, if he feels the need to let off a bit of steam then let him. Would you agree that its best to let them do a little occasionly and build up, than to do a lot at a later stage of life in a more intense training mode?

Cheers Weedy

Edited by Weedy

Cheers Weedy

atb Mr jones

You have made a good point there Mr jones. Certainly a greyhound wouldn't have naturaly evolved the way it is today. I suppose the point I'm trying to put over is that it realy is down to the individual. In the past when I've been training a pup I tend to let it take the lead. If you get my drift? And, I don't mean in the literal sense either Lol! But, if he feels the need to let off a bit of steam then let him. Would you agree that its best to let them do a little occasionly and build up, than to do a lot at a later stage of life in a more intense training mode?

Cheers Weedy

I would certainly agree with that Weedy. :yes:

atb Mr Jones