Yesterdays Hunt

SeanTheHawker

Was Fairy windy and the odd shower but decided to head out to some permission i got over the summer. rolf was at 1lb 5.4. arrived at about 12 oclock, spoke to the farmer and then was told where his boudneries where, gawd its one hell of a big farm, with 2 forests that will be handy for those really really windy days. so we headed off, first set was on a hill near the car, didnt take teh ferret long to bolt it. the rabbit came out as if it was be shot out of a cannon, it was quite litrally about 3 feet in the air heading down the hill. it was stubbling trying to get back to balance when rolf hit it in the arse, turned out and had another go , but again he didnt have a good hold. then it eventaully got into thick cover. never seen a funnyer flight! we continued to do a few more sets, all on hillside, but rolf was connecting at all, and some of teh rabbits werent bolting the best. then we done a hedgrow alongsside teh hill. ferret was in for a few seconds :o and a few rabbits started to bolt , little 1/2 grown ones. rolf managed to catch one. but seeing that there was still lots of time left i took him of it. he also drgaged it into cover very easy, so was worried incase he flew of with it. Anyway, continued to climb over hill over hill but didnt managed to bolt any. started to head back to the car, but went a different route, at the far side of the river, which was a pain to cross. we found a really nice set on yet another hill which had about 15 holes, so put 2 ferrets down and waited, one rabbit showed but went to ground after rolf flew to it. 15 minutes later got the hob, but still no sign of the jill. we scanned and scanned but couldnt locate her, My da stayed to keep an eye on the set while i tried another set on the hill directly facing it. first rabbit bolted and rolf got it but got knocked of as it went through a run under a fench, while i was lifting rolf up andother bolted which we missed. another bolted but went back to a hole, rolf landed in a tree so decided to let him stay there. ten minutes went by and was starting to think that the ferret had killed that rabbit that showed. then a rabbit rocketed out, rolf chased it and i heard the squeal, jumped the fench while i heard rolfs bells going, so assumed he msised and got up and chased. no sign of him, so got a bit of ,eat on the glove and was whistle. no sign of him. then heard his bell about 10 feet away in a stream. he was mantling over a rabbit so he must have got back onto terms with it. opened it up for him and then ran for the hob, got him in the box, and then had to run up to the other hill where the jill was. still no sign of her. gave my da the locater and headed back to rolf. he had gutted the rabbit himself, really all the shitty bits and eating the meat. after he was cropped up and took him on the fist and headed back to my da. but he was already on his way down with the ferret :D. then we had the long journey back to the car :S. havent given every flight into account, but we must have covered about 6 or 7 miles and that was only abotu a quater of the farm. wasnt the easyest of ground to hunt but had plenty of rabbits which made it worthwhile.

well pleased with him, hasnt even been out of the moult for 2 week and hes already caught 2 and a half rabbits lol :D

060826_1.jpg

060826_2.jpg

060826_3.jpg

060826_4.jpg

060826_5.jpg

Edited by SeanTheHawker