does anyone else think that a lurcher show should have a seperate class for its judges and colleagues?i seem to recall a time when this was the case,but it seems now that it is commonplace for their dogs to be judged along with the rest of them.i do not deny that some judges have fabulous dogs,but i was at st john,s chapel today and watched a dog given a first place while it was obviouly in disress,its owner had to hold its muzzle for the judge to look at it after it had gone for him,still thrashing around,the woman was asked to walk the dog to the corner and it wouldnt walk because it was looking back at the judge and they put it thru it all again when she managed to get it back.she walked away with first place while a little later a young lad ,whose lurcher was a bit fiesty was told to walk to the corner and and back and was looked at from a distance.the lady in question with the first dog to be judged was in fact a well known N.L.R.C. judge.there have been other occasions where this has happened and it just seems to me that there is nobody for them to answer to.more and more people are taking notice of this and before long lurcher &terrier shows will be a thing of the past as young kids coming into the game think they are wasting their time as the boring summer months drag on and these shows give them something to do with their dogs.to keep it fair and sporting i feel judges should have a class of their own :

Guest jeff.s
does anyone else think that a lurcher show should have a seperate class for its judges and colleagues?i seem to recall a time when this was the case,but it seems now that it is commonplace for their dogs to be judged along with the rest of them.i do not deny that some judges have fabulous dogs,but i was at st john,s chapel today and watched a dog given a first place while it was obviouly in disress,its owner had to hold its muzzle for the judge to look at it after it had gone for him,still thrashing around,the woman was asked to walk the dog to the corner and it wouldnt walk because it was looking back at the judge and they put it thru it all again when she managed to get it back.she walked away with first place while a little later a young lad ,whose lurcher was a bit fiesty was told to walk to the corner and and back and was looked at from a distance.the lady in question with the first dog to be judged was in fact a well known N.L.R.C. judge.there have been other occasions where this has happened and it just seems to me that there is nobody for them to answer to.more and more people are taking notice of this and before long lurcher &terrier shows will be a thing of the past as young kids coming into the game think they are wasting their time as the boring summer months drag on and these shows give them something to do with their dogs.to keep it fair and sporting i feel judges should have a class of their own :

THE LADY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAS JUDGED BEFORE BUT HAS NOT JUDGE THIS YEAR, IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU JUST HAVE SOMETHING ABOUT THE NLRC, THERE WAS A FEW DOGS JUMPING ABOUT TODAY. ONE OF MINE WAS JUMPING ABOUT BUT IT NEVER WON OUT, AND IF ITS THE ONE IM THINKING OF THAT THE KID HAD IT TURNED ON THE JUDGE TO HAVE A SNACK AT HIM. I JUDGE BUT ONLY A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR SO DOSE THAT MEAN I CANT SHOW MY DOGS, THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF JUDGES SO INSTEAD OF BEEN BITTER WHY DONT YOU PUT YOUR NAME DOWN, jeff

ps I CAN NOW TELL YOU THAT LADY HAS NOT JUDGED FOR OVER 2 YEARS AND ITS BEEN 4 YEARS SINCE SHE HAS JUDGED UP NORTH. SO IF SHE HAS NOT JUDGED FOR 2 YEAR WHAT MAKES HER A NLRC JUDGE. :realmad:

Edited by jeff.s
Guest jeff.s
You know the saying whippetlady, 'if you can't beat them,join them' :whistle: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

IF THERE WAS ANYTHING GOING ON WITH THE JUDGING AT THAT SHOW HOW COME THE CHAMP AND THE RES CHAMP WERE NON CLUB DOGS, I GO TO SHOWS WERE I PAY MY POUND THE SAME AS EVERY BODY ELSE AND GET NOTHING COS WHEN YOU GET THERE YOU KNOW THE JUDGE AND GET NOTHING COS THEY DARNT GIVE YOU ANYTHING COS THEY KNOW YOU, THERE IS TOO MUCH BAD FEELINGS AT THE SHOWS NOW ITS GETTING TO A POINT WERE YOU DONT FEEL LIKE GOING, AT THE MOST A LOT OF JUDGES WILL ONLY JUDGE 2 OR 3 TIMES A YEAR SO WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO DO FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR, NOT SHOW THERE DOGS, A LOT OF PEOPLE START JUDGING COS THEY DO A BIT OF WINNING WITH THERE DOGS AND THERE DOGS ARE IN GOOD CONDITION, SO THEY ARE ASKED TO JUDGE, AND COS THEY HAVE HAD DOGS FOR A LOT OF YEARS, I HAVE HAD RUNNING DOGS FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND HAVE JUST STARTING JUDGING LAST YEAR, I KNOW YOU CANT PLEASE EVERY ONE BUT PLEASE DONT SHOOT THE JUDGES. jeff

I've allways been convinced that most lurcher shows are corrupt to a certain degree, before anyone asks why I go then ?, it's because I like to meet up with freinds, put faces to names and generally see lurchers and terriers. I wasn't going to comment on the judging yesterday in case it was my paranoid mind, but at least some other people have, shall we say, reservations about the competancy of yesterdays lurcher judge. I felt he disreguarded my dog simply because she beat a dog he was showing at a previous show, I honestly hope he isn't so petty. Another guy who's dog has won supreme championships lately wasn't supprised when it was not even placed in it's class as he says the judge dosen't like him !!! Surely it's the dog that should be judged, not the owner ? I will go to more shows, but I hope judges will show some integrety and impartiality.

Cheers.

P.S. How come a smooth coated bitch was 2nd in the ROUGH BITCH class ???

Edited by chartpolski
Guest jeff.s

THESE DOG SHOWS CRACK ME UP, ITS A BIT OF SUMMER FUN, WELL ITS MENT TO BE, ROLL ON THE WINTER, ITS ALL GETTING OUT OF HAND, I ENJOY THE BIT OF JUDGING I DO, AND SO DO A LOT OF OTHERS NO WONDER ITS HARD TO GET A JUDGE, THERE IS AWAYS GOING TO BE A BIT OF JUDGING UP LEADS WERE EVER YOU GO IN THE COUNTRY, (BYE THE WAY I DONT IF YOUR DOGS SHIT YOU GET NOWT) BUT THE CLUBS AND SHOW ORGANISERS SHOULD DO A BIT OF CHEAKING FIRST, (I RUN THE HARTLEPOOL SHOW SO ME ASWELL) I GET FED UP OF SEEING THE SAME JUDGES EVERY YEAR SO ALL THOUGHS THAT MOAN ABOUT JUDGING DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT RING A FEW CLUBS UP AT LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE INTRESTERD IN HAVING A GO, DONT JUST SIT ON THE FENCE MOANING. jeff :blink:

In reply to whippetlady,having shown lurchers for 30 years I dont ever recall classess for judges to judge the judges! Secondly, the dog in question was NOT in distress. She has NEVER behaved in that way before'thrashing around', as you put it. I dont know the reason, but she is fit and well and bouncing today as yesterday. All credit must go to the judge for persevering and eventually getting round the dog and giving her a second chance. She took first place because in the judges opinion she was the best in the class, despite her behaviour, no more and no less . As to being a well known NLRC lurcher judge, someone disgruntled show goer has been feeding you duff gen. NLRC yes, judge- not for years, through choice. Should then anyone who has ever judged not show their dogs? Wouldn't be many at the shows, would there. There were several individuals at the show who have judged this year, and last and probably next as well. Do you wish to see these people barred from showing just because they have been asked to judge? The takings would be well down as most of these people are multiple dog owners and showers. Perhaps you want to look at the wider picture before you anonymousley criticise others or try running your own show. Getting back to the dog in question, she is a multi champion, obedience champion and racing champion, a first class lamper, ferreting dog and bushing dog. I dont notice, whippetlady, having a swipe at those people who continually persist in showing pure breds in LURCHER classes when most show organisers have gone out of their way to include a pure bred class, as on Sunday. :yahoo:

In reply to whippetlady,having shown lurchers for 30 years I dont ever recall classess for judges to judge the judges! Secondly, the dog in question was NOT in distress. She has NEVER behaved in that way before'thrashing around', as you put it. I dont know the reason, but she is fit and well and bouncing today as yesterday. All credit must go to the judge for persevering and eventually getting round the dog and giving her a second chance. She took first place because in the judges opinion she was the best in the class, despite her behaviour, no more and no less . As to being a well known NLRC lurcher judge, someone disgruntled show goer has been feeding you duff gen. NLRC yes, judge- not for years, through choice. Should then anyone who has ever judged not show their dogs? Wouldn't be many at the shows, would there. There were several individuals at the show who have judged this year, and last and probably next as well. Do you wish to see these people barred from showing just because they have been asked to judge? The takings would be well down as most of these people are multiple dog owners and showers. Perhaps you want to look at the wider picture before you anonymousley criticise others or try running your own show. Getting back to the dog in question, she is a multi champion, obedience champion and racing champion, a first class lamper, ferreting dog and bushing dog. I dont notice, whippetlady, having a swipe at those people who continually persist in showing pure breds in LURCHER classes when most show organisers have gone out of their way to include a pure bred class, as on Sunday. :yahoo:

in reply to wren,no-one has said your dog wasn,t the best in its class.what was said was your dog was ,as you have said yourself was given a second chance which wasn,t afforded to the young lad and i am sure you will agree that your dog was just as tempremental as his.in all honesty if that had been someone else,s dog and you were judging it would you have persevered and risked being bitten.no-one is saying that ANY lurcher club,whose members are or have been judges,shouldnt show their dogs but some years ago ,not to many too be truthful the members did have their own class,the Teesdale game fair being one.this is not a personal vendetta,but i can only say what i saw as others did and if that was a personal swipe at me,i dont show pure bred anything as mine are all whippet crosses :yahoo: i expect any dog that enters a show ring to be judged on the day and not on its reputation.

Guest jeff.s

in reply to wren,no-one has said your dog wasn,t the best in its class.what was said was your dog was ,as you have said yourself was given a second chance which wasn,t afforded to the young lad and i am sure you will agree that your dog was just as tempremental as his.in all honesty if that had been someone else,s dog and you were judging it would you have persevered and risked being bitten.no-one is saying that ANY lurcher club,whose members are or have been judges,shouldnt show their dogs but some years ago ,not to many too be truthful the members did have their own class,the Teesdale game fair being one.this is not a personal vendetta,but i can only say what i saw as others did and if that was a personal swipe at me,i dont show pure bred anything as mine are all whippet crosses :yahoo: i expect any dog that enters a show ring to be judged on the day and not on its reputation.

I THINK THIS IS WHY PEOPLE THOUGHT YOU HAD WHIPPETS. FROM YOUR POST.

hi everyone,im new . i keep whippets and my hubby keeps lurchers.i enjoy a good mooch with my dogs and my main quarry is rabbits,have done lamping too.

nice to meet you all

whippetlady

:clapper:

THE LADY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAS JUDGED BEFORE BUT HAS NOT JUDGE THIS YEAR, IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU JUST HAVE SOMETHING ABOUT THE NLRC, THERE WAS A FEW DOGS JUMPING ABOUT TODAY. ONE OF MINE WAS JUMPING ABOUT BUT IT NEVER WON OUT, AND IF ITS THE ONE IM THINKING OF THAT THE KID HAD IT TURNED ON THE JUDGE TO HAVE A SNACK AT HIM. I JUDGE BUT ONLY A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR SO DOSE THAT MEAN I CANT SHOW MY DOGS, THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF JUDGES SO INSTEAD OF BEEN BITTER WHY DONT YOU PUT YOUR NAME DOWN, jeff

ps I CAN NOW TELL YOU THAT LADY HAS NOT JUDGED FOR OVER 2 YEARS AND ITS BEEN 4 YEARS SINCE SHE HAS JUDGED UP NORTH. SO IF SHE HAS NOT JUDGED FOR 2 YEAR WHAT MAKES HER A NLRC JUDGE. :realmad:

this is not about where or when this lady judged,or whether you show your dogs or not,it is about what looked to be preferential treatment .this is not about the N.L.R.C in anyway,we support their shows whenever we can.we dont always show but go for an enjoyable day out to meet up with friends nor is it bitterness.i have no personal grudge against this lady or her dog.the young lad you refer to was not given the same second chance as your friend ,yet she had to hold her dog by its muzzle to stop it from,as you put it"turning on the judge to have a snack at him".would you in your role as a judge,hand on heart would have persevered with a dog that was being as ,shall we say as tempremental as that and risk being bitten!

nell :

As you will no doubt have observed, several dogs backed off or were difficult with the judge on Sunday, for no apparent reason. I cant answer for the judge and wouldn't presume to, second chances, and sometimes third chances, are often given on the day to some dogs. This is common practice at most shows and rightfully so. As far as members classes go, are you suggesting I should only show in these because of past judging jobs, if so I might as well join a knitting circle for the summer months instead of having what should be a nice day out with friends and like minded people, without the sniping, wingeing and back stabbing that has become all too prevalent up and down the country this year. If you cant live with the judges decisions, dont go. Remember it is supposed to be a fun day out.

why do people always moan about shows ? for some it becomes an obsession and for what ? f**k all, a rossette, maybe even a trophy if your lucky, personally i think there all a load of bollocks and imo 90% of the dogs in them have never seen a days graft in there life, even the owners make me laugh with the full real tree outfit and fell boots in the middle of summer.

maybe the judges are biased but if i was a judge i would only pick what i would keep in my own kennels, i know it's hard to guess if a dog works or not just from looks but most of the people at these shows could'nt possibly work the amount of dogs (or should i say clones) they have with them.

another thing i've noticed about these so called working dog shows is that most judges won't pick dogs that are marked up.

to me work always comes first looks don't even come into it, but thats not the case with a lot of people and thats why theres so much shit about nowadays ;)

As you will no doubt have observed, several dogs backed off or were difficult with the judge on Sunday, for no apparent reason. I cant answer for the judge and wouldn't presume to, second chances, and sometimes third chances, are often given on the day to some dogs. This is common practice at most shows and rightfully so. As far as members classes go, are you suggesting I should only show in these because of past judging jobs, if so I might as well join a knitting circle for the summer months instead of having what should be a nice day out with friends and like minded people, without the sniping, wingeing and back stabbing that has become all too prevalent up and down the country this year. If you cant live with the judges decisions, dont go. Remember it is supposed to be a fun day out.

Yes it IS supposed to be a fun day out, but where is the fun when , as whippetlady and many others see what they perceive as blatant favouratism ? Regarding dogs backing off or being difficult with this particular judge, I commented to people around me that this is exactly what would happen as he appeared to be far to fussy with the dogs, this was a Lurcher show, not Crufts !!! Perhaps this was to cover up for what appeared to be favouratism ?? I, perssonaly would not enter my dogs in a show with this judge again.

Cheers.