Stock Stripping

Anyone ever stripped down their stock ? I have a HW57 that has had plenty of action over the years. A mate has told be that if i strip it back to the wood I can use the tip of a hot iron to remove the odd ding and dent ? What oil / varnish would you use to finish off ?

Thanks in advance

:thumbs:

strip the stock with paint stripper ( use an old tooth brush on the chequering, so not to damaage it)

if your going to use an iron to remove any dings.....cover the damaged area with a wet cloth ( at least doubled) then put the hot iron on top and i will draw the mark out ( dosn't always work, if the wood has beed crushed/damaged to badly)....then a good rub down. the stock will then need sealing with a grain filler ( which is a clear liquid).....the birchwood casey range of products are very good.

the finish is a personal choice......oil or varinsh.

personally i would use oil as any future damage can easily be repaired, if its varnished any future repairs will be difficult to cover.

oil also stops the stock being slippery, so, easier to handle if wet etc.

an old tip with oiling a stock is

apply once a day for a week, once a week for a month then once a month for a year.

hope that helps

atb

sean

strip the stock with paint stripper ( use an old tooth brush on the chequering, so not to damaage it)

if your going to use an iron to remove any dings.....cover the damaged area with a wet cloth ( at least doubled) then put the hot iron on top and i will draw the mark out ( dosn't always work, if the wood has beed crushed/damaged to badly)....then a good rub down. the stock will then need sealing with a grain filler ( which is a clear liquid).....the birchwood casey range of products are very good.

personally i would use oil as any future damage can easily be repaired, if its varnished any future repairs will be difficult to cover.

apply once a day for a week, once a week for a month then once a month for a year.

hope that helps

atb

sean

Pretty thorough advice there, I was going to say something about the damp cloth and the varnishing bit, but there's not much left to say now!

I totally agree with the varnishing thing, I make a lot of wood and metal sculptural work and clients are always asking for them to be clear varnished.... I've never conceded yet! It will cause more issues than its worth (yellowing, cracking/chipping, takes forever to repair next time, etc, etc) plus it doesn't handle well as your hands can't glide over it. Plus, oiling it just adds to the nostalgia and it feels much better!

John

hope that helps

atb

sean

Pretty thorough advice there, I was going to say something about the damp cloth and the varnishing bit, but there's not much left to say now!

I totally agree with the varnishing thing, I make a lot of wood and metal sculptural work and clients are always asking for them to be clear varnished.... I've never conceded yet! It will cause more issues than its worth (yellowing, cracking/chipping, takes forever to repair next time, etc, etc) plus it doesn't handle well as your hands can't glide over it. Plus, oiling it just adds to the nostalgia and it feels much better!

John