My Cocker Won't Pick Up,

Hi,

I'm new to this, but I have a 1 year old Cocker, she works spot on when beating and flushes well. But when it comes to picking up she has no intrest and just looks at the bird evan when I have put her on it.

Do scaents work in training, she isn't intrested evan in a tennis ball.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, we start beating pheasants next month and would like her to pick one up.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this, but I have a 1 year old Cocker, she works spot on when beating and flushes well. But when it comes to picking up she has no intrest and just looks at the bird evan when I have put her on it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, we start beating pheasants next month and would like her to pick one up.

Thanks

Hi i had the same problem with my cocker. Would find a bird and just look at it and sniff it!

I tried a few things e.g pheasant scent on a dummy, tennis balls etc

What i found to work for my dog was using a cold small bird, partridge or small hen pheasant wrapped in an old pair of tights so the feathers dont put the dog off.

I opened his mouth and placed the bird in getting him to hold it, giving lots of reassurance and praise.

After repeating this over a few days i left the dog holding the bird and even encouraged it to follow me round with it.

I then moved on to retrieving with the bird in tights gee-ing the dog and making him want it.

After he was retrieving the bird i cut holes in the tights letting the wings hang out and eventually worked up to him retrieving the bird on its own.

That worked for me!

Jake

Hi,

Thanks

hiya, agree with last comments... leave retrieving for a while.. had a cocker the same some years ago.. best advice i got was stop doing retrieves for at least a month, nothing at all..then come back to it.. worked a treat... cockers can get bored very quickly...

good luck..

regards..

simon..