I'm absolutely bloody gutted! My collie x broke his tail yesterday (wagging it like crazy! :no: ) and the vet's recommended amputating it about half way along as this will minimise his suffering long-term (as he'll probably have a weakness and keep breaking it). I'm bloody devasted (you know how it's reckoned that we will get one special dog in our lives? - He's mine) Has anyone else had this happen? How does it affect them and can they still run half-decently?

My uncle once had a saluki X who lost half of his tail in the car door :cry: , his running didn't seem to be effected too much by it though. I would presume that it would take time to get used to it - balance etc!

Might sound silly, but is it definately broken and not bruised as in "dead tail, or water tail?" They hang lifeless for a few days but then improve, know one guy who almost has his Greyhounds tail removed due to this, but fortunately the Vet that saw him on the day of the op realised in time.

Dawn.

Guest jeff.s
Don't see Poodles chasing balls in the park and falling over, do ye? :laugh:

;)

LIKE DITCH SHITTER SAID, POODLES AND TERRIERS SPIN ABOUT ALL OVER AND THEY SEEM TO DO THE JOB IN HAND, I ONCE WENT OUT RABBITING WITH A LAD WITH A WHIPPET AND THAT ONLY HAD A BOB TAIL AND THAT COULD TURN ON A SIXPENCE. jeff