Khaki Campbell Ducks

I was thinking of getting a couple of these ducks for their eggs as they are supposed to be good layers.

Has anyone got any, and can any one give me any tips or things to avoid.

How much room do they need? Would I be better waiting until spring ?

Any websites for info you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking of getting a couple of these ducks for their eggs as they are supposed to be good layers.

Has anyone got any, and can any one give me any tips or things to avoid.

How much room do they need? Would I be better waiting until spring ?

Any websites for info you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Practical poultry is a good site for asking questions on all manner of poultry. I have 8 KK ducks, and have been getting 8 eggs a day off them, but tailed of a bit for a few weeks as were moulting, but back up to 7 again every day. They dont need much room and a shallow pond, or even a large washing up bowl or similar will suffice them, as long as they can get their heads in and have a good wash. I built a pond for mine about 12 ft around and a foot or so deep, and they prefer to use the large water bowls I put out for them as well :duh: Give them plenty of fresh water to drink and dabble in and you'll not get the sometimes overly strong tasting duck eggs that you sometimes can get, they eat bugger all really and eat all your slugs etc, they are a bit of fun to own really and are much more profitable than hens, ANY breed of hen. Hope this helps.

B

Thanks for that Bootsha it is very encouraging. How big is your duck house to keep 8 ducks? do they need anywhere special to lay their eggs as my three chickens sleep in the nest boxes and lay eggs anywhere in the coop? Do they need their wings clipping?

I was thinking of keeping them on a bit of land where I keep the chickens its about 19 metres by about 14 metres mainly grass and has a boundary height of about 2 metres they would stop out all day during daylight hours then put them away at night like I do with the chickens.

Sorry if the questions may be daft but :icon_redface: if I do something I want to do it right.

Hcc

No bother

Thats plenty big enough for them, mine aren't wing clipped and I live near a busy road, they aren't put in at night either, although I admit I should as I know only to well the risks, they used to lay everywherte, on the floor IN THE POND, anywhere, no manners at all, but they then started to lay in the nest boxes, but you do get the occasional one on the floor. They are good fun honestly, but I think you'd be better off putting them in every night tho !! I feed mine on layers pellets and worm them twice a year with flubenvet as this has no egg withdrawal period ( tried verm-x and its shit ) Hope this helps

B