First time Shooting the Solway

Hi all, I am a newbie to shooting, and am planning on going to Solway first weekend of October for my first try at shooting geese. Any info you can give me to help on my first attempt will be great, from where's best to go, what i'll need and what to expect. I shoot a semi auto 20, and need to know if this is adequate enough and what shot would be best. Thanks all.

If you are shooting a 20g I would recommend you go down the tungsten shot route... very effective if a 20g I hear

Remington Wingmaster HD (4's), Gamebore ITM (3's) ...... both rather expensive but you wont use many

Lyalvale Hevishot does not load a 20g

Ultimately if you are new to shooting lead-free shot you should be patterning your gun before you go near quarry...(IMO).

Where are you planning to go on the solway......have you got a wildfowling permit for one of the concession areas...are you going on club ground...are you going to attempt to shoot a "free fowling" area.........

More info required to help point you in the direction of contacts who will know the local ground.

Best wishes

Tom

PS If it is your first time foreshore wildfowl shooting please do not go on your own unless you are very confident you can tell the difference between the different goose and duck species that are on and off the quarry list!

Edited by tom1cameron
If you are shooting a 20g I would recommend you go down the tungsten shot route... very effective if a 20g I hear

Remington Wingmaster HD (4's), Gamebore ITM (3's) ...... both rather expensive but you wont use many

Lyalvale Hevishot does not load a 20g

Ultimately if you are new to shooting lead-free shot you should be patterning your gun before you go near quarry...(IMO).

Where are you planning to go on the solway......have you got a wildfowling permit for one of the concession areas...are you going on club ground...are you going to attempt to shoot a "free fowling" area.........

More info required to help point you in the direction of contacts who will know the local ground.

Best wishes

Tom

PS If it is your first time foreshore wildfowl shooting please do not go on your own unless you are very confident you can tell the difference between the different goose and duck species that are on and off the quarry list!

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply, I'm staying in Powfoot, My uncle who works for BASC told me to go around there. I was going to try free shooting as i have no idea where to start with permit areas or how to get contact to shoot on local ground.

I am going with an experienced shooter, who has been assisting me in identifying quarry, but he has on the Solway before shooting the area is all new for him too.

Lisa

Edited by ljcowlbeck

what kind of attitude is that, everyone is new to this sport at some point in time, just because i'm still 'learning' does not make me inferior! at least i'm asking advice and preparing and not going there blindly! And you should have said her not him!

Edited by ljcowlbeck

you will understand why the attitude when you come up and see the way some of the visitors conduct themselves, they dont do it on there own marsh i know thru experience.

anyway i'll give you abit of advice, sorry for the hastyness but please dont let me down.

you will need a minimum of a 12 bore 3 inch although the 20 might come in handy for ducks on an evening. do some travelling and reconasience you wont learn by hope alone.