get some flubenvet down em, should be out the system (i think) in 4 weeks, ready for the season . thats if the birds are old enough

is flubenvet some kind of wormer?

Thanks Bill

yes chap.worm them via the feed/pellet.with all this rain there too many puddles etc to do so via the drinkers.panacur works too..assume they aint got the shits??

This is my first season doing some amateur keeping (250 pheasant poults).

Assuming that the poults came from a well managed game farm, is it necessary to give flubenvet (or anything else) as a preventative medication if the birds currently look healthy ?

Is the gapes a problem only whilst they are in the pen ?

Thanks

get some flubenvet down em, should be out the system (i think) in 4 weeks, ready for the season . thats if the birds are old enough

is flubenvet some kind of wormer?

Thanks Bill

yes chap.worm them via the feed/pellet.with all this rain there too many puddles etc to do so via the drinkers.panacur works too..assume they aint got the shits??

ok thanks for the info ;)

This is my first season doing some amateur keeping (250 pheasant poults).

Assuming that the poults came from a well managed game farm, is it necessary to give flubenvet (or anything else) as a preventative medication if the birds currently look healthy ?

Is the gapes a problem only whilst they are in the pen ?

Thanks

as soon as the poults arrive id put minerals straight into their water.i start on flubenvet via the pellet after they have settled in the release pen.

yes,they can still get worm while they are out of the pens,usually via puddles etc.more reason to control the corvid population..

you should only realy worm once infected as it runs a course.

unless like me you only have medicated grub left as had no need to use it.

if you worm to soon when only 1 or 2 are coughing you cure them but the incubation period exceeds the treatment so others can pick it up .

unless realy bad wait till say 10% are coughing then medicate you should get the lot!!!

Thanks for the tips on gapes. I will hold off for now.

A pen on a local shoot has had 10% just drop dead. No injuries/blood/ signs of disturbance etc. They are now on a course of antibiotics but it would be interesting to hear if anybody has any clues (hard, I know without pictures, etc)

they dont like being permantly wet and cold it can bring their condition down and they become more likely to get infections how soon after going to pen did they die, is the pen on fresh ground or the same place as last year and did they have any problems then.