Help please

JordKil

I work in a DIY store and the other day at the end of my shift I went to dump stuff in the warehouse and was narrowly missed by a blob of bird shite but when I look up sitting there as bright as day is a peregrine falcon. I told me colleagues and they said 'yeah there has been a big bird in the store since thursday'!! I told them that it aint just any bird its a peregrine and if its wild its endangered etc. I couldnt see and jesses or tags on it (but it was sitting directly above me) They also said that they phoned the RSPB and they said that they wouldnt do anyting until it was caught! :wallbash: on top of that the guy we have from rentokil said hed shoot it if we want!! :wallbash::wallbash: prat. I told them you cannae shoot it its a raptor! After spending ten minutes explaining what a raptor is and that it isnt just a dinosaur from jurassic park :wallbash: They all 'agreed' that since I know somuch about it (compared to them) that I should catch it. Great. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to? I thought about feeding the poor bugger some mice or dayold chicks or coax it down with them but im unsure whether or not it may be injured it looks rather shaken and is all ruffled. Or does anyone know of anybody in my area that could help get it down before it dies? Im in Aberdeenshire.

Cheers

Jordan

I work in a DIY store and the other day at the end of my shift I went to dump stuff in the warehouse and was narrowly missed by a blob of bird shite but when I look up sitting there as bright as day is a peregrine falcon. I told me colleagues and they said 'yeah there has been a big bird in the store since thursday'!! I told them that it aint just any bird its a peregrine and if its wild its endangered etc. I couldnt see and jesses or tags on it (but it was sitting directly above me) They also said that they phoned the RSPB and they said that they wouldnt do anyting until it was caught! :wallbash: on top of that the guy we have from rentokil said hed shoot it if we want!! :wallbash::wallbash: prat. I told them you cannae shoot it its a raptor! After spending ten minutes explaining what a raptor is and that it isnt just a dinosaur from jurassic park :wallbash: They all 'agreed' that since I know somuch about it (compared to them) that I should catch it. Great. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to? I thought about feeding the poor bugger some mice or dayold chicks or coax it down with them but im unsure whether or not it may be injured it looks rather shaken and is all ruffled. Or does anyone know of anybody in my area that could help get it down before it dies? Im in Aberdeenshire.

Cheers

Jordan

Can you make the warehouse dark and can you reach the bird with a landing net and is the birds a falconer's bird?

I cant tell if its a falconers bird it seems very scared (understandably) We tried making he whole store dark and leaving just the entrance light on to encourage it to go out the door but it aint shifted im gonna attempt a landing net tomorrow possibly thats when im next working.

An update on the bird.

Went in today to see if he was still about and also to try possibly catch him. He was no where to be seen. I asked about and everyone said they hadnt seen him since sunday. I cant think of how he would of got out as someone would have seen him. Im goin to go in tomorrow for a last look. Lets hope hes still about or has managed to escape...not anything worse.

Cheers

Jordan

i work for rentokil in aberdeen and also keep birds of prey,you have said on another forum the bird is in a homebase,i have spoken to our local techs who cover the stores and they all say they havnt been asked about the "peregrine",i am also getin in touch with the stores and so far nobody knows what im on about,so more info please,where is it? and who said they would shoot it?

yes it does bloody exists! The guy from the warehouse said and I quote 'When I phoned the rentokil guy and said there was a bird in the store he said that hed come and shoot it' He never mentioned it was a bird of prey as this was well before I even seen the bird. My mistake I do apologise for not mentioning that. Also I wouldnt take my word of it being a peregrine thats what it looks like from a distance im not an expert, just an enthusiast it could be a sparrowhawk looks similar to both from where I was standing. And foxy09 I havent been ignoring people who ask for help Ive been answering my PMs and I cant just let anyone walk into the store and catch it im not the manager Im just a shopfloor assisstant. Im never on the IFF so I havent had a chance to check for replies.

I apologise for that accusation as I didnt realise until afterwards thats what would happen. We have had great service from rentokil and I know that they actaully use birds of prey for sme of the jobs and I imagine have great respect for them. I am very sure that if they knew it was a bird of prey they would never of even thought about shooting it. Sorry once again.

Could it not be a kestrel that has got in to roost? I've seen them get in through gaps in corrugated roofing before! It's not really the sort of place I'd expect to hear a wild peregrine being seen. Unless it had chased a pigeon & couldn't get back out!