Harris Hawks

hawkanddog

As you may of read wih my previous posts I aquired a male harris last week.

After a litttle time to settle in, get to used to me, and see the girls through the mesh. :D

I wanted introduce him to his prospective girlfriends, they are free lofting together, jessied them up and put them all out together on the weathering lawn yesterday for the first time. They seemed to accept him.

I put them all back into the loft together last night and I am pleased to say he is still with us this morning. :)

phew.

I was dreading that first look, I half expected a pile of feathers left on the floor. :icon_eek:

The Harris Hawk being a sociable bird, should accept each other.

If you ever lucky enough to see them in the wild they just seem to sit about in groups. The group I have observed, live on my brothers farm in Argentina, they are a lot smaller than mine and are called jermangos by the locals.

The group is 11 in number and hang round telegraph poles looking out for road kill and stuff disturbed

by farmers tractors. I wasnt lucky enough to see them hunt proper.

It is winter there at the moment and my brother says there are lots of different, hawks , falcons & eagles passage through the Bahia Blanca area in the spring.

Well, I will have to start saving again to visit. :D