Scope Bases

Hi everyone. I recently went to buy a Savage Arms .17 HMR and the shop owner tried to sell me the scope mounting blocks seperately and for an extortionate (in my view) price.

These rifles don't have a rail and they don't appear to come with any sights - a scope is therefore essential. Does anyone know if the bases are routinely supplied with these rifles?

Its a bit like buying a car where the steering wheel is an extra!

Edited by venator

Hi everyone. I recently went to buy a Savage Arms .17 HMR and the shop owner tried to sell me the scope mounting blocks seperately and for an extortionate (in my view) price.

These rifles don't have a rail and they don't appear to come with any sights - a scope is therefore essential. Does anyone know if the bases are routinely supplied with these rifles?

My Savage Mk11 hmr came with blocks fitted, this was a stainless thumbhole version. Never thought you got any gun without either open sights or scope mounts fitted? Was it a new gun or s/h?

My Savage Mk11 hmr came with blocks fitted, this was a stainless thumbhole version. Never thought you got any gun without either open sights or scope mounts fitted? Was it a new gun or s/h?

Thanks for your reply. It was a new gun - advertised on guntrader. I see the same dealer has now put the same gun up by £110! I've since bought one from a dealer in Cornwall and it came with the rails fitted. I'm really pleased with it - the bunnies are not so happy....

Some of these dealers are really not playing fair and are just out to rip people off. My advice is to do the research and always be prepared to walk away.

Edited by venator