JRTCA breeder

I am crossposting this information from a freind. If this is what JRTCA promote as good breeders then they need their heads looking at. This all happened this week.

It has come to my attention that a breeder of the JRTCA has been charged before for horrific conditions that she had kept her dogs in.

When she had the 270 dogs before she was a member of the AKC.

I have provided you with many links on this story and as well as her link on the JRTCA breeders list.

On Monday, members of the SPCA spent the entire day removing 271 dogs from the home of Morris and Sherri Jo Berend, who live on Old Greenwood Road northeast of Decatur.

Sherri Jo Berend is the animal control officer for the city of Decatur. She also operates Oak Grove Kennel at her home where she breeds Jack Russell terriers

The advert

Video This video is sickening.

sickening yes, ive seen this on an american site, but this lady needs help, all that new her at trials etc had no idea her dogs were kept at this state she has obviously got health issues and doesent know when to stop, and as usual the spca (american rspca) have painted it as black as possible to get the coins coming in.

who in their right mind keeps 270 dogs!.

exactly! she needs help, there is a condition or illness that typifies this.

as far as checking breeders goes the costs alone would be huge to do this? a country the size of america and the amount of kennels it must hold, would be some task checking all of them?

Guest Stevie D

Don't see what the JRTCA have to do with it. It's virtually impossible to police something like that in the UK never mind USA. Thurso is right, the old gal needs treatment. To register as a breeder is a relatively simple operation, yes some checks are carried out but then it's left to the discretion of the breeder, here lies the problem. Last time I was over there the JRTCA had 50,000 russells registered countrywide, slightly bigger scale than here.

Stevie

Guest oldskool

if she had a husband and family then watever illness she may or may not have had shouldnt have affected theyre common sense to do something about it!! instead of letting it get to that extent :no:

I have nothing to do with the JRTCA other than to get their magazine, but this this has nothing to do with the JRTCA and I think it's a bit reaching and ill-informed to imply that it does. This lady is a sad case of a dog collector. There are such people all over -- a bit crazy. This lady was drawn to rescue dogs (she even worked for the local shelter!) and was sane and stable for most of her life, but went over the edge thinking she was doing good for abused dogs. The results are not kind, but they are (sadly) not uncommon, and they certainly have nothing to do with any registry. Do you not have such people in the UK?

Guest Stevie D

Patrick, the UK is full of them. To try and place any blame on the JRTCA here is off the mark. These things happen. The JRTCA puts time and money into research & developement of breed problems which is more than what is done over here. Policing maverick breeders is extremely difficult, as I said before. Any responce Cumbrian Jack??

Stevie

I know Cumbrian Jack did not mean it like this -- probably just a little wound up (never happens to me, LOL), but branding an entire organization for the transgressions of an individual is the kind of tactic our opponents generally use. The headline on this thread, as it now stands, is about what PETA would have written. I don't suppose people on your side of the Atlantic would be happy to see picture of the British lunatic with a working terrier who was also a cannibal (yes, yes, there is such a fellow) branded as a typical supporter of the mounted hunts on an Ameican working terrier site? You say you might consider if offensive and slanderous? Mmmm. Me too. :unsure: We patrol things pretty well over here. We promise not to talk about your cannibals if you don't slander everyone over here because of the actions of a luntatic dog collector. Fair enough? ;)

Patrick

My response is that JRTCA have a code of ethics like all breed clubs, this woman was exhibiting her dogs & trialing them she was also registering her stock with them, is it not a breed clubs duty to question how many pups/dogs are being registered to a breeder each year? surely all breed clubs have a duty to the breed 'protect & preserve' comes to mind but seems as long as a breed clubs gets your membership money & registration money they don't care what you do with your dogs & why have other breeders who have been to the home to visit these dogs not said anything about it or offered her help to spey/neuter these dogs, surely if she rescues them shes got the sense to de sex them so they cannot just keep multiplying?

I'm not for any instance saying this isn't going on in the UK, i already know of 3 large scale multi breed kennels registering JRT types???! with JRTCGB, i am waiting to see if JRTCGB make the connection or questions anything.

I wonder if any of the breed clubs or breeders in the US will be offering to rehome these dogs? or at least give the rescuers the funding to see that these dogs are not left to be abused again.

I am not a member of PETA by the way( the thought makes me sick as they are weirdos) i am just really mad that people do this & get away with it for years.

Well Jack, you are dead wrong, but very sure of yourself, aren't you? A common thing, I suppose. This has nothing to do with the JRTCA, it has everything to do with one lady who has gone off the deep end and become a dog collector. Mental illness is mental illness. The dogs (and hopefully she) are getting help. Meanwhile this thread and your posts continue to slander an organization that does quite a lot of good, not only in providing a small community for people that actually work their dogs, but also in promoting ethical breeding, genetic research, and which runs full page ads in every major dog publication in this country (every month, every major publication) telling people Jack Russells are not poodles, but true hunting dogs and people should think twice before they get one and then give them up. They also do a LOT to promote rescue, and stand up for hunters in the legislative process. In the panoply of responsible breed clubs, I have to say the JRTCA is the best, and I am quite critical of all of them, as some of you know.

As for PETA, you do not have to a card-carrying member of PETA to provide aid and comfort to the organization. All you have to do is slander people broadly, spend very little time doing research, talk loudly, and otherwise present the sport poorly. And, of course, it helps to not get it right, never say you are wrong, and post nonsense you gleaned from one board on another. Unfortunately, this type of thing is done all the time, which is why in some parts of the world hunting is on the run.

The tactic of lumping all hunters in with those who torture pets, bait badgers, and commit every kind of sordid crime under the sun is a common anti-tactic, and it's a bit of a stretch for me to think you do not recognize it. I am not saying you are a PETA member -- I am saying you have fallen into a trap through careless talk and weak research. You have taken one crazy mentally-deranged person and smeared a rather large organization with her misdeeds. And now you seem reluctant to do the right thing and clean up your side of the sidewalk. PETA is comforted, while the dogs in Texas are surely not helped, and the JRTCA never had anything to do with it at all. Score one for PETA so long as this thread remains. :no:

Now Jack, if you want to do something constructive, rather than destructive, here's a good way: Send your most generous contribution to Russell Rescue or Russell Refuge >> http://www.russellrescue.com/donations.php4 or http://www.russellrefuge.org/ When push comes to shove, these organizations do a lot of good for some very unfortunate dogs.

Patrick

Edited by PBurns

The woman has not got mental health problems! for goodness sake why are you & certain others in the USA trying to brush this under the carpet & make excuses? She had the ability to go get her dogs ready for a show & to breed, sell, advertise her dogs shes not mental.

As to donations mines already on its way 24hrs ago mate!

I guess its ok for you to say what you like about anyone or anything yet when anyone else has an opinion its all codswallop is it? Hypocrite comes to mind.

I haven't slandered any organization i just would dearly like to know why something wasn't done to stop this sooner, this is not the 1st case of one of their breeders (now ex breeders) having dogs confiscated, its the biggest amount i believe but certainly not the 1st time. Now she is no longer a member i guess it has nothing to do with them.

Meanwhile this thread and your posts continue to slander an organization that does quite a lot of good, not only in providing a small community for people that actually work their dogs, but also in promoting ethical breeding, genetic research, and which runs full page ads in every major dog publication in this country (every month, every major publication) telling people Jack Russells are not poodles, but true hunting dogs and people should think twice before they get one and then give them up.

Promoting ethical breeding eh? OK whatever!

The tactic of lumping all hunters in with those who torture pets, bait badgers, and commit every kind of sordid crime under the sun is a common anti-tactic, and it's a bit of a stretch for me to think you do not recognize it.

I didn't lump all & i don't think shes someone who hunts not 270 terriers anyway!

Cumbrian Jack, you are sliding fast to foolish.

The SPCA folks themselves say about this lady: "It is a compulsive behavior that worsens over time. It needs to be treated with psychiatric help.'' They note she had moved out of the house due to so many dogs living in it, and into a camping trailer. She had a dead cat in the fridge and rotting rats in the sink. She thought she was doing well and was spending all her money trying to care for these dogs (no shortage of dog food, the SPCA notes), but was overwhelmed and yet unable to stop collecting dogs of all types from everywhere. If you think this is not mental illness, then .... well you must have been raised in a very crazy house yourself.

Mental illness is serious stuff, and it can happen very slowly or very fast. It can also take many forms. The fact that someone can dress themselves and carry on a conversation does not mean they did not just kill their children and put their heads in the freezer. I believe you have had a few serial killers in the UK that fit this mold?

An interesting subplot to this story is that this crazy lady was an animal control officer herself. She worked for the local humane society. And she was not always crazy. It appears she became so over time, and became overwhelmed as a consequence. The other local animal control people with whom she worked every day were unaware of how mentally ill she had become. They said they were floored when they visited her remote house out in the Texas scrub. Yet, such things happen, don't they, even in the UK?

In truth, you seem to have no knowledge about this situation, this lady, or (to be honest) the JRTCA. And you certainly have no ability to admit you are wrong. Fair enough -- people that cannot admit they are wrong are a dime a dozen. Those that can are a rare enough breed and worth knowing. People sort themselves out by their actions in that regard. In the meantime, this is the lady you think is quite sane >> http://cbs5.com/pets/local_story_198184058.html

Patrick