im confused

Guest ferreting king

hey all. im confused. for instance, if you are in your local park and you are about a mile away from your home. if your dog runs off and you are calling her back and she completely ignores you, and then you go to look for her and you go back to your home and you find her there. what should you do?

do you give her a row or do you praise her for returning home?

what would you do in this situation?

Y.I.S

FK

I can see the chicken and the egg scenario your building but personally I would play hell for not coming back to heel in the first place.

I’m the first to admit that I will tolerate things that I shouldn’t with my dogs but heel is the only thing in my opinion a dog should do every time regardless of what trail or kill he on.

Guest ferreting king
tricky one calvin hope she aint crossin roads.... i would work on the recall over and over glad she got home in one piece hope you get it sorted fella

it wasnt my dog that run off it was my mates

Raise your voice to her, dont strike at her because by the time you get back to her she doesnt understand what he/shes done lol

and as moomin said, work on the recall until she gets it!

or if you dont trust her...keep her on a lead, doesnt have to be short, you can buy 16" leads at most pet shops and i think Country Stores in Gowerton sells 8 or 10" leads mate

Toni Dave

Guest whitser
hey all. im confused. for instance, if you are in your local park and you are about a mile away from your home. if your dog runs off and you are calling her back and she completely ignores you, and then you go to look for her and you go back to your home and you find her there. what should you do?

do you give her a row or do you praise her for returning home?

what would you do in this situation?

Y.I.S

FK

neither praise her or scold her,just put her back in her kennel. then its back to basic training. no point scolding the dog hours after the event.

The dog wouldnt know what it is being punished for so you have to be indifferent. A good technique is whilst in the home ignore the dog for a while, this is doggy language for Im dissapointed with you. Then buy a police long training leash - a 20ft nylon is probably best as its nice and light. Feed he dog slightly less than usual and use the kibble/meat/whatever as training treats. Recal the dog saying the comand only once- never repeat yourself its a sign of weaknes in the dogs eyes. When the dog eventually comes give him the treat and go mental with praise as if its the best dog in the world. Repeat on a daily basis untill the dog bounds to you eagerly straight away every time, then you can remove the trainer leash.

Some people are against them, but citronella spray collars are hany training devices if used correctly by experienced persons in my opinion + I have had great results with remote collars.

kindest regards,

jon