thinking of applying for an SGC ....

HI ALL,

I AM A LAND OWNER AND I AM THINKING OF APPLYING FOR A SHOTGUN CERT, WHEN THEY ASK ME WHAT I WANT THE GUN FOR AND I SAY I WANT IT FOR VERMIN CONTROL WILL THEY ASK HOW MUCH LAND IVE GOT? I ONLY HAVE 10 ACRES - WOULD THIS BE A PROBLEM?

MY PARTNER IS A MANAGER OF A MAGISTRATES COURT (CIVIL SERVANT) , WOULD SHE BE ABLE TO BE THE COUNTER SIGNATORY FOR ME?

IM 26 NOW, IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO APPLY FOR A SGC BUT ALWAYS THOUGHT I'D BE TOLD NO... I HAVE NO CONVICTIONS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT,

REGARDS

CHRIS

You will have no problems getting a Shotgun Certificate. You do not need to specify land or actually have to specify a reason for wanting one.

But if, when your FEO comes to interview you, you tell him that the main reason will be Vermin control, you are covered more than adequately.

As for your partner, in the sense that she is not technically "family", then technically yes, but you may have trouble when they scrutinise it as she is so close to you. Normally, Family cannot be countersignatories.

But Civil Servants or anyone with some responsibility will be fine as a C.S. :thumbs:

ANOTHER THING, WHAT SHOTGUN WOULD BE SUITABLE AS AN ALL ROUNDER? IE, VERMIN CONTROL AND A LITTLE BIT OF CLAY PIGEON AT A LOCAL CLUB? OR WILL THE CLAY PIGEON NEED ITS OWN TYPE OF GUN?

REGARDS

CHRIS

hi mate! in answer to your question one shotgun will do both jobs perfectly and with regards to make and model, in my opinion you want to just walk into the shop and start picking up different guns and just buy what feels good to you. i did the same when buying my first gun looking at reviews and pictures and choosing which gun i was gonna get when i got to the shop that all went out the window and i bought something else purely because it felt good. however i do believe that you get what you pay for in the way of build quality and reliability so beretta and browning would be a good place to start your search in my opinion.

atb gossy

ANOTHER THING, WHAT SHOTGUN WOULD BE SUITABLE AS AN ALL ROUNDER? IE, VERMIN CONTROL AND A LITTLE BIT OF CLAY PIGEON AT A LOCAL CLUB? OR WILL THE CLAY PIGEON NEED ITS OWN TYPE OF GUN?

REGARDS

CHRIS

You'll be fine shooting everything with the same gun, 12 obviously most common. I know a bloke shoots everything with a 26 inch side by side 12: clays, vermin, and game. Don't know why thats relevant! Prob because I'm pi**ed! Cheers :D:D

I 2nd the 1 gun approach, just ensure you get a multi choke gun as it will be more versatile when changing from one discipline to the other.

As mentioned you may think you know what you want gunwise, but the most critical aspect is that the gun must fit YOU.

Again as said, get to the gunshop and bring a few guns to the shoulder. All will become clear when you find one that brings everything into line of fire without having to stretch or stoop or otherwise contort yourself. The gun that fits will point automatically and not have to be aimed as such.

Problem is that you could end up looking at a gun at £200 or 1 at £2000 :D:D

Personally I'd buy as cheap as possible as you will inevitably want to trade up when you gain experience, the cheap gun can always become the rough shooting choice ;);)

Hi mate,

i went to sportmans gun center in exeter and picked up a baikal 12g that someone bought put 50 shells through it and decided he didnt like it....the gun was mint, and it fits me perfectly! and i only paid 150 quid for it!!!!!!!! i shoot clay pigeon rabbit and and anything else that steps out....i regularly put 250 cartridges through it onva clay day without any problems...except for a black shoulder that is!

the other option is to get a semi auto...you can pick up a decent berreta on www.guntrader.co.uk for less than 300 quid!

peace.

Hi mate,

i went to sportmans gun center in exeter and picked up a baikal 12g that someone bought put 50 shells through it and decided he didnt like it....the gun was mint, and it fits me perfectly! and i only paid 150 quid for it!!!!!!!! i shoot clay pigeon rabbit and and anything else that steps out....i regularly put 250 cartridges through it onva clay day without any problems...except for a black shoulder that is!

the other option is to get a semi auto...you can pick up a decent berreta on www.guntrader.co.uk for less than 300 quid!

peace.

:clapper::clapper: Did exactly the same thing myself, as new Baikal, fit better than anything else on the rack, used for 5 years and only lost £30 when sold :clapper::clapper: