Imbra Traps and Mink?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Millet; I Did catch a mink in a Fenn 4, mate. I was Gang Setting for ..... 'Something else' that bothers us round here :whistle: So this mink's come along and invaded my set. Hit the first Fenn and that must have surprised him. But when he's jumped back and rolled straight onto a second one, he must've thought it was Arma f***ing Geddon! :rofl:

Pity he never struck a third. That way he wouldn't have managed to have dragged the one that had him up a drain, to the end of its tether, and pull out :angry: I was gutted! Not only had my set been wrecked, but there was this mouth watering tether, stretched taught up the drain with the trap out of sight. Mink sh*t right there at my feet too! I thought, " Hallo! I've got one here then! " Dragged the cord and came up with an empty trap out of an empty pipe. I'll have him next time.

Chalkwarren; I'd never even considered using a Kania for mink. But then, I don't consider using them for much! It's all right for You, maybe; Having Carl send you a container load, but us poor mortals, faced with what would ammount to a bill of nearly fifty quid a piece to get them over here ..... :icon_eek:

No, I'm taking advice on The cheapest way of handling mink ;) I'm also having a go at making some of JohnB and FoxDroppers favourites right now. They'll work out at a Fiver each and, if they don't work out, I can chuck them on the range and burn them this winter! Old timber, mate; Only f***ing thing I have to burn! :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence meant Ditch Shitter,... :D

I can obviously understand the 'economics' of your situation as regards purchasing a Kania 2000 trap for £40.00....or thereabouts,.depending upon your geographical location,...but,.I figure that a target species deserves a quick and humane end (that is WHY I pioneered the Bodygrippers and the Kania,..plus others to follow ;) )...So,..as a pro hunter, the £40.00 is considered to be an investment for the future. OF course,.if you are just having some fun and trying to catch various critters for your own amusement,.well yes, I would agree with you. Make some tunnel traps,.funnel traps and 'feckem up' type Traps,...

Youve time on your hands,.so fill yer boots... ;) Kind regards,.PL. :)

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest Ditch_Shitter
No offence meant Ditch Shitter,... :D

What possible offence could you have caused, Phil?! :good:

if you are just having some fun and trying to catch various critters for your own amusement,.well yes, I would agree with you. Make some tunnel traps,.funnel traps and 'feckem up' type Traps,...

Youve time on your hands,.so fill yer boots... ;)

Time and oppertunity, mate! :good: I've never had so much lovely vermin, so available to me! Finding quarry here is like popping out to the local corner shop! Just walk out my door and wonder which site to cover next!!! I'm absolutley spoiled for choice! In fact, it'll take me ages yet, just to get enough various devices down to seal the land up! I'm living my dearest fantasy here! :clapper:

But, today, I chose to reset that Juby I missed one in. At the right angled drains? As you suggest, this run is for 'amusement'. I'm practicing :) So now I've slowed down and taken a better look at that situation. I'm trying out some fine tuning to the effect of attempting to funnel the next one a little, from both sides, in this case. That's what I did when I caught that last mink. That happened to be the only set where I'd made a concious effort to guide the bugger over that pan. Now I'm trying again.

I'm afraid I seem to lose all sense of angle, when I shoot my sets. But here's the best shot I managed to get of the newly finished product. You'll note how the trap is, in fact, positioned within the 'Natural Overhang' formed by the 'Tunnel' of grass above it ..... :whistle:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
How many have you had :blink: ? :11:

Frank.

:icon_eek: Is that directed at Phil and his love of that wine he likes, or my mink? :laugh:

Frank? That Pine Marten, in your avatar: Did you take that shot?

PS. As you're here: Who's a reliable f***ing ISP, mate? Eircom are giving me constant and total sh*t!!! :angry:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I was out last night, having a good mooch about. Lots of good came of it too! :) Spoke to Pat, one of my neighbouring Farmers and holder of most of the land that surrounds me here. He was only too happy to give me permission to trap the f*** out his land! Mink, round here, really are despised!

So, with that healthy encouragement, I went for it big time and did the old 'Viet Nam Stroll' all along the ditches I'd not visited yet. Further from the track. I found what I was looking for too!

Land Mine!

This is the only sh*t I ever find around here. Having examined some still waters in some of the ditches, I went back to Pat and asked him if he'd ever noticed any frogs in those waters? Moorhens? Ducks? Anything??? He looked perplexed. Scratched his head. Puffed. Then exclaimed that I had a point; He'd never seen anything on that water.

That's when I explained Why. The tight lipped, angry expression that clouded Pat's face then said it all. I'm In! :laugh:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

During my 'Stroll' I also picked up on a trail. I followed this b*stard right along the bottom of a wet ditch. I was seeing where he'd came out, to hunt the rats on the bog. But the trail I was working looked fresh and well used to me. I must have followed it a good seventy five yards and was fasinated by it all.

Imagine my amazement then when, having moved up stream into the dry end of the ditch, I saw his actual tracks for the first time. And, my god, they were fresh! I'm figuring my presence might well have disturbed this bugger and sent him moving ahead of me as I slunk up the field edge beside his little refuge. And now I was staring at a finely tilled earth scree on the opposite bank. A neat little pattern of darker patches, where his feet had held as he'd scrambled up it and slipped away along the other side! He'd been there minutes before! I'll be looking at getting even closer presently :good:

But it was at the far end of a ditch that I found a sight to make my heart sing. There's a gate way there. Above it is a small stand of trees with shade and grass. Just beneath the hedge of the ditch though, I found this ..... I'm afraid the shot's far from perfect, because it was getting shadier by then and I had to use the Twighlight exposure. That really requires a tripod. But it so pleased me, I thought I'd show you here. Just so you too can get a feel for what I'm dealing with here:

Sweet As It Gets ~ Almost!

And yes, that's my bog standard, no thrills size Mobile. I say 'Almost', because I also found a trail beside another, nearby ditch. I tried to get a shot, but, with the light and the distance, it came out useless. But this one must have been formed by the hand of god, just for me! There's a natural, wind fall branch laying along the edge of this ditch. And there's a Very well worn path going under it and down into the ditch! The bottom of the branch is just at minks back height! Oh Pul Eeeeease! :clapper:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ok, so I realise I'm the only bugger still reading this thread - everyone else having long since given up any hope of my Ever coming up with the goods! :rofl: But I'm the bloke on the recieving end of all this, and I know just how busy I am and how little time I actually get to put my plans into action. And Planning I Am!

I'm a slow burn sort, me. 'Slowly, slowly; Catch a minkie!'. I'm also hoping for reinforcements to my limited armoury and waiting for a crew of workmen to sod off and leave the local landscape in peace. But I'm far from idle! ;) I've been out recceing again! More delicious piccies! LOOK what I found this evening ....! :icon_eek:

There's this girder, crosses from one of Pat's fields, straight across the still water ditch, onto the bogland beyond! Have A Look!!!

Bridge Across the Styx

But, even better, when I risked life, limb and a stinking soaking to crawl out and examine a suss looking object, smack bang in the middle of said bridge? What did I discover It to be???

Land Mine Al' A Mink!

:clapper:

Now, This is obviously just Crying Out for a BMI in a 'Cubby' Cage! So, Phil: Cover the cage, mate? Or should I just strap the whole shebang on there and let nature take it's course? Your judgement appreciated asap, because I have the kit here and am just burning to get that trap down! :D

Hmm. Don't s'pose the bugger's even reading this lot now! :unsure: So little faith! :laugh:

Edited by Ditch_Shitter
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ah, no. I can see your point, Millet. But what it is, it's the mode I used on the camera for that shot. " Magnifying Glass " ( :blink: ) It's a great function, but weird even to me yet as I'm not used to it either. It says it can pick out detail we couldn't even make out with the naked eye! :icon_eek: I think they're right too!

No, it looks pretty huge, doesn't it? But it's actually only about an inch and a half all told. I usually like to put some recognisable thing from my pocket next to such objects. Coin, mobile phone, what ever. Only to tell you the plain truth: That girder's just six inches wide and I was crapping myself! :laugh: I had one foot braced on the bank. Valuable camera in Both hands and was wobbling like a c***! I'd set the camera before climbing out there, snatched the shot and was Oh So Glad to get back on dry land. No way was I going back out there to try again! :laugh:

Right. Just got to get my first chores done here. Then, by this evening, I'll have a BMI / Cubby cage on that girder :good:

May just take my waders and relax this time! :ph34r:

According to my little trapping book that I had when I was 7, Mink shit is about 5cm long and tappers towards one end.

Stoat and Weasel is about 5cm and 3cm respectively and seems of more consistent width but with a pronounced thinning at both ends.

It could be hedgehog too. But I'm way out of my depth here

That 'bridge' is just crying out for a trap. It's the perfect place for a box trap if you've finished one

And anyway - I thought you were hunting a stole, not stools. :laugh:

Wire the cubby firmly onto the girder,..maybe spread the BMI 116 Magnum trigger wires to allow the mink to look straight through. Personally,.I wouldn't put anything over the wire mesh cubby,..perhaps the odd bit of grass/sedge as a bit of camouflage,..but, basically,.. 'keep it simple'... ;) All the best.... ;)

B)-->

QUOTE(john b @ Jul 21 2006, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to my little trapping book that I had when I was 7, Mink shit is about 5cm long and tappers towards one end.

Stoat and Weasel is about 5cm and 3cm respectively and seems of more consistent width but with a pronounced thinning at both ends.

It could be hedgehog too. But I'm way out of my depth here

That 'bridge' is just crying out for a trap. It's the perfect place for a box trap if you've finished one

And anyway - I thought you were hunting a stole, not stools. :laugh:

that was quick john b very quick stole not stools :11: :11:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

John; That girder's only six inches wide, mate. One box, facing one way? Bugger takes the wrong direction of approach and he'd be climbing straight over the top of it :( Yes, I know I could get my waders and tool box out, set up out riggers, a platform, to widen the bridge and make it take two boxes - that could prove devestating, if a second mink happened along! :icon_eek: But, as Phil said: Let's 'Keep it simple'.

'Stole, not stools'? Hah, ha. Very good. However, rule No. 1 says that we can't trap what isn't there. Rule No. 2 says that, if it is there, it'll leave it's shadow. It's our skill to find and recognise that shadow ;)

See, I'm not a completley green lemon, when it comes to trapping. I'm simply an accomplished artist experimenting with new media. I've never before had access to mink - simple as that - and am pushing the boundries of my own learning experience by attempting to get the job done using methods I've not even used on my more usual quarry either. I hope I'm not too old to learn. But I am old enough that my time is now limited and I have to move things along in any and every way I can! :laugh:

If Millet's still dropping by ....? Millet; I had a fresh look at that sh*t, mate. 110% certified Mink :good: When I saw it again today, out there on that scary girder, I wished I had you with me, so you too could glance at it and see what I do. I wasn't going back out there, just for another shot. But you can take my word; If you saw it in context, there'd be no doubts in your mind either. That magnified shot threw you, as it would have done me :)

And now ~ You Knew I'd do this! :laugh: .....

Mink Set on the Styx

Phil? I imagine you can see the trip wires clearly enough there? Look alright to you?

In Context

See how I've taken advantage of the 'natural' tunnel through the bank side vegetation? Kept it as simple as could be; Basicaly just put the 'cage' down and got the hell out of there! (Can't wait to go back tomorrow now!)

Must apologise for the rather poorer quality of my 'stood back' shots, Lads. My fault. Not the camera. Again, I've only recently started trying to master its more clever controls and I seem to have veered to one side here. I've also just took the image size down a peg as I'm finding even these (much reduced) 'Thumbnails' a little weighty on the kb scale :unsure: I'll get there .....