Elgeeco Squirrel Trapping

Just been called out to a client of mine to whom i sold an "Elgeeco" squirrel trap and bird feeder too last season. He calls me in every time he has a catch, for me to dispatch it (for a fiver a time of course ;) ) He has become quite adept at catching greys in his garden........and we have had over 20 to date that he has caught.

This old fella is in his early 90's he tells me........so maybe he could be the oldest active squirrel catcher :hmm::laugh: He always pushes a stick through the cage to prevent the squirrel pushing the door up........something i told him to do until i could get there and dispatch it.........this one was a youngster of the season........so i told him he maybe will get a few more yet.

Does anyone use the "Elgeeco" on a regular basis?...........i do occaisonally......but is not my trap of choice to be honest.

post-12022-1243429858.jpg

Hi Rolfe , is there a design fault with these traps i.e weak springs enabling the squirrel to escape ?? there was a thread about these traps some where in the archives about how the squirrel,s once caught were gnawing the hell out of the fence panels , then " Ditch Shitter " came up with a brilliant idea of putting a thin metal plate the hieght and width of the trap, between the fence and trap to resolve this problem ! and as for that stick I can see them making short work of that !!! best regards Steve

Hi Rolfe , is there a design fault with these traps i.e weak springs enabling the squirrel to escape ?? there was a thread about these traps some where in the archives about how the squirrel,s once caught were gnawing the hell out of the fence panels , then " Ditch Shitter " came up with a brilliant idea of putting a thin metal plate the hieght and width of the trap, between the fence and trap to resolve this problem ! and as for that stick I can see them making short work of that !!! best regards Steve

If you move the spring to the second square in on the door (instead of the first) this really keeps the door shut tight and i have not had one escape since modifying them like that. Yes........they can make a mess of a fence panel.......if you don't get there quick enough to dispatch them.......and i agree that a metal back plate would solve that problem. As for the stick across the door........the old fella also wraps the whole lot up in a sheet till i get there.........and the squirrel sits still and quiet in the dark.........but he has plenty of sticks anyway ;)

i have 3, with 1 sited permenatly in a tree on customers lawn, to which he sets each time he catches 1, before dispatch. from this 1 trap he's took 17 so far, from last june to-date....

my 3 are the newer design, mk 2 i believe.. as my doors are different to yours.

new11024.jpg

My dad has one of my Kania's on permenant loan and he's 75, so not as old as your client.

He's had 23 squirrels in the last 13 months which shows what a problem they had. All pre-war houses with long gardens and fruit trees. He might actually get to harvest some pears this year :thumbs:

post-2748-1243458375_thumb.jpg