8month lab pup is SOMTIMES holding onto dummy

for every say 25 retrives my lab will hold on to the dummy an refuse to give it up. i dont want to pull it away as she may think am playing. what should i do? is it because she is getting bored of the same retrives? would it e best to do it in light cover so its a bit more challanging

for every say 25 retrives my lab will hold on to the dummy an refuse to give it up. i dont want to pull it away as she may think am playing. what should i do? is it because she is getting bored of the same retrives? would it e best to do it in light cover so its a bit more challanging

This does not answer directly your question but it is worth reading this link http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj21.html

That's an excellent link: thanks for putting that up: the info can be applied to all dogs, not just gundogs. I wonder how many lurchers show one or all of the listed behaviours when not wanting to give up their prize LOL Have to admit I see some of these things in my own dogs :icon_redface::whistling::D especially when out with other dogs and not on their own.

When you say every 25 retrieves do you mean that you are throwing 25 retrieves in one session?

if you are continually throwing a dummy for a dog then throwing it again when he retrieves it he can start to think that you dont really want it.

In my (limited) experience dont be tempted to move training on to the next step unless you have got this one sorted and if things aren't going right be prepared to go back a level.

ATB Ezzy.

i got an 11 month old cocker bitch mate and she is coming on well i take her with dumy and only give her 6 or 7 at the most then training over that way i am in control mate she never gets fed up

i also got a 4 year old one and he was trained more than her used to do it till he got fed up today he is 4 and refuse to retreave at all goes in bushes water the lot fetches it out drops it (if its dead) and sits there with it not good at all gthere is nothing i can do now with him