Setting TheTalpex Mole Trap

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some shots I took today of how I set the Out-o-Sight mole traps, which are virtually identical in function to the Talpex.

First shot shows mole tunnel with about a 4 by 5 inch section of tunnel dug out, just enough room to set the trap

Second shot shows where I have filled in the excavated section of tunnel with loose dirt.

Third shot shows set trap being pushed into the blockage until trigger pan rests on surface of blockage

post-17486-1208655391.jpg

post-17486-1208655404.jpg

post-17486-1208655416.jpg

Rolfe, in looking at your first picture at the top of this thread, looks like you cover the entire trap with loose soil, and that's one thing I don't do with the Out-o-Sights. I just fill in the mole run so that loose soil fills the opened up space for the trap up to a level about an inch or so above the top of the tunnel. In other words, the mole tunnel is under loose back fill, and the set trap is pushed down into that fill, but then I don't put additional loose dirt covering the rest of the trap, as you have shown. I can see no advantage to this, and would think it might interfere with the triggering of the trap unless that soil is very loose.

I don't doubt that what you do works fine, I just can't see a reason for all that extra dirt on the upper portions of the trap. Also, you must wind up with some dirt above the trigger pan, and it would seem to me that the extra weight and interference from this dirt might make it less likely that the mole would trigger the trap.

Here are a couple more pictures, one of a complete setup in place which shows how much less dirt I have at the set than you do, Rolfe.

The second is just a picture of the set trap out of the ground.

post-17486-1208655832.jpg

post-17486-1208663489.jpg

Rolfe, in looking at your first picture at the top of this thread, looks like you cover the entire trap with loose soil, and that's one thing I don't do with the Out-o-Sights. I just fill in the mole run so that loose soil fills the opened up space for the trap up to a level about an inch or so above the top of the tunnel. In other words, the mole tunnel is under loose back fill, and the set trap is pushed down into that fill, but then I don't put additional loose dirt covering the rest of the trap, as you have shown. I can see no advantage to this, and would think it might interfere with the triggering of the trap unless that soil is very loose.

I don't doubt that what you do works fine, I just can't see a reason for all that extra dirt on the upper portions of the trap. Also, you must wind up with some dirt above the trigger pan, and it would seem to me that the extra weight and interference from this dirt might make it less likely that the mole would trigger the trap.

Here are a couple more pictures, one of a complete setup in place which shows how much less dirt I have at the set than you do, Rolfe.

The second is just a picture of the set trap out of the ground.

Steve.......i can see exactly where you coming from and i understand your thinking and indeed i will try out the method you describe.

The reason i completely cover the traps is so the mole cant push up to the surface so easily as it would do with the shallow covering...... forcing it to push through rather than up....and also to disguise the trap from prying eyes.

i have been using talpex for yrs now i tried your filling in rolfe. Doesn't work for me we got clay type soil here and a lot of small stones in the soil too. Supose its diiferent in your area.

Same to Steve i couldn't fill as you do also, only needs a small stone getting between the jaws then NO CATCH.

But all GOOD stuff

Bry

Here's a side by side comparison of the Victor Out-o-Sight trap that I have used for many years with a Talpex, kindly sent over to me by Rolfe(thank you!). Basically the same trap, but the Out-o-sight is larger and considerably heavier, and has an even more powerful spring than the Talpex, stronger than necessary in my opinion. I really like the Talpex, as it's a fraction of the weight, a little more compact, and does the same thing.

Only thing I didn't like about the Talpex was the trigger mechanism which seemed a little stiff. And I'm not too keen on the way the trip bar just sits inside a hole on the pan. But it looks like a great trap.

post-17486-1209099872.jpg

post-17486-1209099884.jpg