We have a decent population of this tiny deer around our area,mostly unseen due to their nocturnal habits.Bordering our housing estate is an old allotment which at one time was fenced all round to keep the deer out .This fence has long fallen into disrepair and the allotments are full of brambles ,a direct contrast to the regimental rows of veg that once grew there.

The muntjac love this area and the surrounding rough ground.

For those of you not familiar with the habits of muntjac,they breed all year round and the does call for a bucks attention at night .The call or "bark" is not unlike a dog but is only uttered once then a break to wait for an answer.

I tend to walk my dogs in this area at night to avoid joe public as a decent hunt is always on the cards.

Over the past year or so I have been trying a few calls with my voice with varying results.The muntjac will answer most barks but Ive never seen any actually come in close.The call Ive arrived at is"baauuk"which needs to be said not shouted.I expect you are smiling at the thought of a grown man calling this out but if it provides sport I dont care.

Any way last night it seemed to come together .The dogs were off doing their own thing way infront when a muntjac called roughly 100yds to my right , I called and it was imediately answered by this deer.The area I was in was partially lit by a nearby streetlight and I could see the shape of a small deer picking its way through the patches of bramble, it stopped and called again,putting its head right back over its shoulders,something Id never seen.I didnt know whether to call or not as it was only 40yds away now but I didnt have anything to lose so I tried again but quietter.The muntjac never hesitated and came in fast, appearing to be bouncing on all 4s rather than trotting.I lost sight of it in some thick stuff,so took the oportunity to kneel down.What seemed like an age went by and then there it was about 5yds from my position,just my side of some dead stingers.It sniffed the ground and then the nettles before releiving itself .At this point I knew it was a doe as the sexes are hard to tell apart especially in poor light.

Another heavier noise infront signalled the return of my lurcher,panting heavy ,followed by the terrier.Watched the muntjac disappear into the undergrwth before calling the dogs over to be put on slips.I had no wish to run this one.

No doutb the dogs were off doing their own muntjac watching.Hopefully I will be able to combine the calling and the dogs at a later date .

Muntjac can be called i have done it :D

I find they are more of a pain than anything though on walks out with all the dogs i`m forever getting them...Even if i take the lurchers on a run beside the bike and try to rush them on they will 100% have a couple on the walk bloody nuisance :angry:

But i can cope with some draw backs in life eating aint bad :D

Muntjac can be called i have done it :D

I find they are more of a pain than anything though on walks out with all the dogs i`m forever getting them...Even if i take the lurchers on a run beside the bike and try to rush them on they will 100% have a couple on the walk bloody nuisance :angry:

But i can cope with some draw backs in life eating aint bad :D

Lucky bugger :11: :11: