Few Flies Ive Tied

• 2 weeks later...
:D ive tied the odd one in my time.....in fact, i never ever fly fish with anything other than my own hand made ones......is the bottom one some kind of stoats tail varient? and i like the hackled PTN....a bit like the flies that i tye for my local still water....those little brown jobs really fool the rainbows.... :guitar: ..come on smudge, lets have a look at your attempt at a greenwells glory, the wing detail will show your skill..... :rolleyes::D nice flies mate...well done

the dunkeld is over-rated....very! the greenwells is the most perfect wet ever devized and i have used it extensively......the simplicity of it is its key and when tied in a correct and clinical manner they look very very nice....its not the biggest or the brightest flies that take the most skill, but those that require a nice, even tight wing....with nothing to hide any imperfections... :good: ...IMHO it is a fly that cannot be improved upon for the northern trout streams in may...save perhaps for the partridge and orange..... B) but then again, neatness and perfection, i feel, is of little note to the trout , the suggestion of foodstuff is what its all about.....i could go on and tell the tale of my size 20 black knat varients.... :icon_eek: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: but there would be little point........for those little flies i find the 10'6 hardy stillwater perfection a fine tool and very very forgiving on light leaders.....

I never really tye mean wets like, i usually just do nymph fishing. Ill give it a go though, ive tied em before. On the size 20 fly note, yeah, nearly always catch but its just keeping them on on such thin wire. I dont usually venture below 16's but i tie 22's to keep me on me toes :D

Smudge

I also think the traditions are very overated. The amount of materials that where around in the days those flies where created is nothing compared to now. The only flies i think that is still very effective from the old skool is Greenwells Glory, PTN, and Haresear. Even the Haresear has been moddified into even more deadly patterns (Flashback for one). Just been out today. 11lb 10z Rainbow :yahoo: it give the awld arm a could wrench i tell ye :D;)

Smudge