Woke up late yesterday at 07.45am as I am supposed to be leaving the house at 08.15am to go to the small pheasant syndicate that I joined this season. Got flask of soup made up and buttered some bread got the dog, gun and jumped in the old Range Rover and got there at about 08.50am and it had started raining hard.

We set off and it was my groups turn to shoot the cover crop. There are 12 in the syndicate and we take turns in beating and shooting. So went down the banking that runs down the side of the cover crop and my position was about 20 yards below. Stood waiting for the whistle to start the drive and with rain now hammering it down and the terrier tied up.

Whistle went and within minutes two pheasants come over the top and guess what missed em. (I blamed the gun cos I was out with the old baikal as my old sbs is sticking.)

Load up quick two more come over like rockets got the cock but the hen flew off laughing.

Woodcock came over but had no shells in it flew of as quiet as a ghost. Whistle blew end of drive.

Waited for beaters to get into position to drive a wood towards us for the second drive now we are looking down over the wood in our elevated position. A hen pheasant came out of the wood over the valley and she was trying to get back to the cover crop 20 yards up at the back of me. She was a little high but I took my time and gave her some lead following though pulled the trigger and she folded her wings up and came down. Well she fell on the bank behind me and from me to the cover crop it is a 45 degree bank and she rolled down nearly at my feet. Well I felt great.

Then it was my turn to beat two drives with the terrier, she loves it never stops, she gets a high when she gets a pheasant up. Only thing is the woods are at 45 degrees and trying to walk through the brambles, loose soil as its never stopped raining yet you could do with one leg 6 inch shorter than the other.

Anyway its soup and bread time now and was I ready for it because my hand were numb with the cold and p*iss wet through also someone had brought some pork pie and colemans mustard yummie.

Last drive I shot two pheasants a cock and a hen so even though its not a lot of birds i had a fantastic morning and topped the weekend off by going clay pigeon shooting on Sunday morning.

Think I might chill out tonight with a g/t

Woke up late yesterday at 07.45am as I am supposed to be leaving the house at 08.15am to go to the small pheasant syndicate that I joined this season. Got flask of soup made up and buttered some bread got the dog, gun and jumped in the old Range Rover and got there at about 08.50am and it had started raining hard.

We set off and it was my groups turn to shoot the cover crop. There are 12 in the syndicate and we take turns in beating and shooting. So went down the banking that runs down the side of the cover crop and my position was about 20 yards below. Stood waiting for the whistle to start the drive and with rain now hammering it down and the terrier tied up.

Whistle went and within minutes two pheasants come over the top and guess what missed em. (I blamed the gun cos I was out with the old baikal as my old sbs is sticking.)

Load up quick two more come over like rockets got the cock but the hen flew off laughing.

Woodcock came over but had no shells in it flew of as quiet as a ghost. Whistle blew end of drive.

Waited for beaters to get into position to drive a wood towards us for the second drive now we are looking down over the wood in our elevated position. A hen pheasant came out of the wood over the valley and she was trying to get back to the cover crop 20 yards up at the back of me. She was a little high but I took my time and gave her some lead following though pulled the trigger and she folded her wings up and came down. Well she fell on the bank behind me and from me to the cover crop it is a 45 degree bank and she rolled down nearly at my feet. Well I felt great.

Then it was my turn to beat two drives with the terrier, she loves it never stops, she gets a high when she gets a pheasant up. Only thing is the woods are at 45 degrees and trying to walk through the brambles, loose soil as its never stopped raining yet you could do with one leg 6 inch shorter than the other.

Anyway its soup and bread time now and was I ready for it because my hand were numb with the cold and p*iss wet through also someone had brought some pork pie and colemans mustard yummie.

Last drive I shot two pheasants a cock and a hen so even though its not a lot of birds i had a fantastic morning and topped the weekend off by going clay pigeon shooting on Sunday morning.

Think I might chill out tonight with a g/t

Glad you had a good day sound a lovly sydincate your in nice post :big_boss:

Sounds like a good day to me, its not always about the number of birds you take, but the company & memories that you keep :thumbs:

Yes you are exactly right, I always come back kn*ckered but fantastic day. Only costs me £350 per season but worth £1,000,000 to me.