Chinese Soy Gravy

For the last year I have been trying to find a recipe for this gravy. In the end I gave up and tried to make a recipe myself. So far I have got pretty close, some say close enough. But I would like to get it bang on. Do any of you have a recipe for this gravy please if so can you post it please?

TC

Something like this:

Chinese Brown Gravy/Sauce

1 quart water
2 tablespoons vegetarian 'beef' bouillon powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tbs soy sauce
4 tsps cornstarch
2 Tbs water

Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; set aside. Put oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and stir-fry until it becomes golden. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 1 minute. Add water, bouillon powder, soy sauce and sugar; mix well. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Add cornstarch-water mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and translucent. If thicker sauce is desired, make and add additional cornstarch-water mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and translucent.

• Like 1

Or this one , is also really good ! :thumbs: Indonesian recipe

KECAP SAUS (spicy soy sauce)

kecapsaus.gif

This delicious Indonesian spicy soy sauce goes very well with fish, meat and poultry.
For the preparation of the sauce preferably use the oil in which you fried the fish, meat or poultry.
For the preparation of the sauce you could also grind the onions, garlic and the chili paste in a pestle and mortar, or puree it in a blender, and fry the mixture in the oil.

Serves: 4.
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Quantity: approx 10 fl oz. (0.3 liters).

Ingredients:

1 onion,
2 cloves garlic,
1.5 tablespoon peanut oil,
2 teaspoons sambal oelek,
8 tablespoons sweet soy sauce,
a half lime,
1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar,
1 tablespoon cornstarch,
0.2 liters of water.

Predirections:

Peel and finely chop the onion.
The finer the onion is, the better.

Cut the ends of the garlic.
Hit or press with the flat side of a knife on the cloves.
This will make it easier to remove the hard skin of the cloves of garlic.
Chop the garlic very finely.

Squeeze the half lime and keep the juice.

Directions:

Heat the peanut oil and fry the onion until it starts to change color.

Stir in the garlic and sambal oelek and fry it a bit more.

Add the water, sweet soy sauce, lime juice and soft dark brown sugar.
Bring it to the boil.

Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water.

Add the diluted cornstarch, and stir until a smooth and a little visous sauce is created.

Garnish it with onion rings and finely chopped celery leaves.

Tip:

The sauce can be frozen, but you can bind the sauce with the cornstarch only after it is thawed.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Just had a roast chicken breast with the soy gravy, it was good, but not quite the real thing. Here is my simple recipe if anyone wants to try it.

4 tbs of dark soy sauce.

3 Tbs of dark brown sugar or 4tbs of normal sugar

2 tsp of hoisin sauce

500m of chicken or vegetable stock.

Corn flower to thicken to taste 3tbs will make a fairly thin sauce 4 will make a sauce you can stand a spoon up in.

mix the corn flower with water before adding to gravy.

Tonight I added the juices from the chicken to the chicken stock and it did make a difference.

I have tried a lot of the American recipes for brown sauce but none have had the real taste that we like.

TC

• Like 1

Tiercel,

Sambal Oelek is ground red chillie paste

Sambal is sauce typically made from a variety of chili peppers and secondary ingredients such as shrimp paste, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, sugar, lime juice, and rice vinegar or other vinegars.

Various recipes of sambals usually are served as hot and spicy condiments for dishes such as ikan bakar (grilled fish), ikan goreng (fried fish), ayam goreng (fried chicken), and soto. Sambal is an Indonesian loan-word of Javanese origin (sambel).[1]

Sambal ulek (oelek) Raw chili paste (bright red, thin and sharp tasting). Can be used as the base for making other sambals or as an ingredient for other cuisines. Some types of this variant call for the addition of salt or lime into the red mixture. Oelek is a Dutch spelling which in modern Indonesian spelling has become simply ulek; both have the same pronunciation. Ulek is Indonesian special stoneware derived from common village basaltstone kitchenware still ubiquitous in kitchens, particularly in Java. The Ulekan is a mortar shaped like a hybrid of a dinner and soup-plate with an old, cured bamboo root or stone pestle (ulek-ulek) employed in anulek manner: a crushing and twisting motion (like using a screwdriver) for crushing lime leaves, chilies, peppers, shallots, peanuts, and other kinds of ingredients.