largest harris's

banjo14

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my female flys at 2.10 and is over 3lb fat. it isnt always size that matters though

Posted Images

nice sized bird

My brother breeds nice sized harris's last males flew 1.11 Mark and the females started there season at the 2.8-2-9 Mark

I fly a male at 1-11 daily and my female ( different breeder ) flys at 2.7

nice sized birds they sound like they are quite consistent at breeding large ones.

This is a male I gifted to a guy that sat in the aviary for 20 weeks until he picked it up. he weighed 1lb 15 1/2 with the Hood on.

I had him back here for one reason or another for a while until he got sorted and had him Jumping to his fist at 1lb 11 :thumbs:

post-251-0-32386600-1321888672_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-69020600-1321888705_thumb.jpg

I prefer Harris females around the 2lb mark they are faster and more agile than larger females.

Large females I've flown a fit 2lb6oz female. She was taking pigeons daily in flight.

But until I started working her 5days a week her flying weight was 2lb2oz. It took her 3months to muscle up to this weight and fitness. I ended up trapping her after 3 weeks out on the roof tops catching and feeding on pigeon. She got too good at her job and I had to retire her to a breeding aviary.

Large females look good on the fist. I get more falconers asking for smaller females and large males. I've seen some brilliant females flying at 1lb11oz. But the largest I've seen at hunting weight was 2lb11oz.

Like that, it must be the big car little prick syndrome.

From the hawks I've bred, averaging 24-30 per year. They mainly want small females.

You can average any many as you want old mate but I have lost count how many people have looked in my aviaries at youngsters and said "Thats a nice big bird I'll take that one". I have also lost count how many foreigners who ring up for birds want me to quote weights with most want birds of a certain weight, arabs can be expecially choosey when it comes down to size Peregrine wise.

people who pays the money for a Finnish Goshawk expect a bird maintaining a Finnish size, if its smaller they'll soon as expected moan. I think you'll also find for many years giving the choice most austringers choose the finnish birds over the German/Euro birds which is a shame, OK! temperamemnt may have played a bit part in it but you only have to look around on the internet and read some posts to see how falconers get excited about having a few more ounces on their fist.

Personaly I couldn't give a arse as given the choice I would fly a smaller female as I have in the past, as for the males I like one of a half decent size..........

. She was taking pigeons daily in flight.

Where the pigeon's dead and fired out of a sling.. :laugh: ..there's not many bird's on the planet that will take a fit pigeon on the wing and the one's that do are mainly perigrine's..which if they dont kill from the stoop they can tail chase for many mile's..no way on earth can i imagine a harris doing that even the fittest of harris,s..

• 2 weeks later...

I fly a fhh that hunts at 2lb 3oz-4oz and my dad fly one that hunts at 1lb 14.5oz mine is the muscle and his is the speed they fly as a cast mine will take hare and has had a young munkjack the size of a hare but also takes pheasant and partridge but awesome on bolted rabbits were as dads is great on rabbit and feather but won't touch anything bigger then a rabbit to the point she won't help in the cast if mine goes for hare etc i much prefer a med Harris too big or too small and they seem picky