Lift Nets

gollum

rabbits have no problem crossing hay ,or corn stubble before its bailed, so why should a bit of net bother them?

Perhaps it's because the hay or Stubble is not fixed and they cannot get their toe nails caught in them?

TC

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres always some that will doubt most things without any experience of it , why not set a net out on the ground and see for yourselves then you can speak from experience

If that remark was aimed at me? I am not doubting merely giving an opinion! If you had bothered to read my first post I stated, "I was willing to be proved wrong". I have no need of all these new fangled gadgets that people use these days or as in this case not so new fangled.

If someone uses them and are happy with the result then. What more do you need? However, if someone goes to the expense of buying 200 yards of a new fangled gadget, uses it once, then stashes it away, never to be used again, that speaks volumes to me.

TC

Edited by tiercel
theres always some that will doubt most things without any experience of it , why not set a net out on the ground and see for yourselves then you can speak from experience

If that remark was aimed at me? I am not doubting merely giving an opinion! If you had bothered to read my first post I stated, "I was willing to be proved wrong". I have no need of all these new fangled gadgets that people use these days or as in this case not so new fangled.

If someone uses them and are happy with the result then. What more do you need? However, if someone goes to the expense of buying 200 yards of a new fangled gadget, uses it once, then stashes it away, never to be used again, that speaks volumes to me.

TC

don,t flatter yourself , it was a general comment

i havn,t used it cos there wasn,t a need , it was bought for a specific job that i was on with at the time and eventually didn,t need using , it was put away and i just forgot about it , not that i need to justify myself to anyone ,

if we didn,t try new things we would all still be living caves

Went off to lay a net down and see if the rabbits would pass over it on Monday night.

The thundering of hooves and glint of brass soon put paid to that!

Unfortunately the farmer has moved a particularly large and single minded Bull in to the field.

Should be out again soon though...

I'll post as soon as I've tried it out.

Thanks all for input so far.

G.

gollum.

It is my thoughts that the slack netting will cause problems with the rabbits travelling over the net. I have recently made a few new long nets with the idea behind them being that the rabbits get caught by the feet instead of them putting their head through the meshes. Early indications are that the design of the net does near enough what I thought it would. :blink:

TC

How dos this work then mate,your saying rabbits wont cross a net because of foot problems,then you go on to saythat your knitting long nets to catch them by the toes. Can you explain in a bit more detail :blink::blink: because its got me baffled :blink:
gollum.

It is my thoughts that the slack netting will cause problems with the rabbits travelling over the net. I have recently made a few new long nets with the idea behind them being that the rabbits get caught by the feet instead of them putting their head through the meshes. Early indications are that the design of the net does near enough what I thought it would. :blink:

TC

How dos this work then mate,your saying rabbits wont cross a net because of foot problems,then you go on to saythat your knitting long nets to catch them by the toes. Can you explain in a bit more detail :blink::blink: because its got me baffled :blink:

It goes like this. For a lift net to work it needs rabbits to pass over it as it lays on the floor. Then the net is sprung and the rabbits are driven back into the net.

A long net used in the traditional manner ( upright ) gets the rabbits driven into it before the rabbits hit the back of the net they will be standing on the net it is then that I hope to catch them by their feet as their toe nalis go between the strands of the meshes

The net I have made to do this is a double strand of fine polyester.

2009_0129netneedles0008.jpg

In the last picture you can see that there is some distance between the foot line and the back of the net this is where I hope to catch the rabbits by the feet.

2009_0201dyednet0008.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
gollum.

TC

It goes like this. For a lift net to work it needs rabbits to pass over it as it lays on the floor. Then the net is sprung and the rabbits are driven back into the net.

A long net used in the traditional manner ( upright ) gets the rabbits driven into it before the rabbits hit the back of the net they will be standing on the net it is then that I hope to catch them by their feet as their toe nalis go between the strands of the meshes

The net I have made to do this is a double strand of fine polyester.

2009_0129netneedles0008.jpg

In the last picture you can see that there is some distance between the foot line and the back of the net this is where I hope to catch the rabbits by the feet.

2009_0201dyednet0008.jpg

TC

It looks like a normal long net to me ,but saying that ,ihave caught rabbits rabbits by the toe ,usually on wet nights,anyway 10/10 for trying :thumbs:
Where did you buy the twine from Tiercel? And how much twine to make a 50 yarder?

You can buy the twine from mole catcher. It comes in 1.5 kilo balls. Trouble is you need two 1.5 kilo balls so that you can load the needles. But @ 12 meshes deep 1.5 kilos will make a 50yd net with 100% bagging. So 2 balls will give you enough twine to make 2 x 50 yd nets. You will also need a heavier twine for the selvage.

Hope this helps.

TC

When a rabbit hits a net in the day, it does so at speed and sometimes at an acute angle, it is this angle of hitting the net that sees the rabbits bouncing off the back of the nets and causes them to sometimes run back away from the net.

The idea is that while the nets are rigged 100% bagging when a rabbit runs on to the net it's toes get caught and starts the meshing of the rabbit. Not a new idea the multi strand net has been around as long as nets have been made.

TC

When a rabbit hits a net in the day, it does so at speed and sometimes at an acute angle, it is this angle of hitting the net that sees the rabbits bouncing off the back of the nets and causes them to sometimes run back away from the net.

this is the very reason i use trammels for daylight work , a properly rigged trammel will virtually eliminate any bounce off, the ones netrigger made for me have to date caught several hundreds of rabbits and only one bounced off, not a bad average

i can see where you are comming from tiercel , as in the past when i used single walled nets many rabbits were caught by just one toe and at the end of the days its about catching rabbits whatever gear you prefer, i,m at the moment making a double strand longnet for night work, one strand of nylon , one strand of poly

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, new to the site, the post seems to have wandered a little off track. regarding the production of a lift net, if anyone is intrested in producing there own i would gladly send some pics over by e-mail showing the correct way of hinging the poles to allow swift setting. it is an old system but its best used in a different way to a standard traditional net,its more of a mopping up tool . the poles/ brkts are used alongside traditional nets, you will also require a setting cord,out-riggers, a start pole, and finally a wooden mallet. atb :) ( the offer of e-mailed pics rather than posted pics is simply down to me not being computer litirate )

( the offer of e-mailed pics rather than posted pics is simply down to me not being computer litirate )

Hi heritage, welcome to the site mate.

Please post the pics, it would be very useful indeed.

To get them on this forum use the "browse" button at the bottom right of the reply page to locate and select your pictures then use the "upload" button to upload them to the site. Then, once you can see them in the attachment drop down field above the "upload" button select the pic and insert it in your text by clicking on the green cross nest to the file name.

Hope that makes sense.

HH.

G.