Novice sea angler

hello all.

my job is involving me moving to an island in the outer hebrides, Benbecula, where i hear the fishing ios amazing, so seeing im there for a few years im gonna get into sea fishing. i used to do a bit of macrel bashin as a kid and catching a few trout from the river as a youngster but that was years ago. so im after some advice about what kit i need rods, reels tackle etc. i been lokking in sea angler magazine but it seems to be aimed at the more experianced fisherman not the novice so any help will be appreciated. i guess most of the fishing up there will be from the beach.

thanks

martin

hello mate hows the pup settling in, is she gettin kept outside or in the house, was she ok with the other dogs.

mostly be fishing off the beach because the beach is only bout 100 meters away from my house, and its massive. theres loads of beaches round the island as well. dont know what ill be fishing for as i said im novice. whats a basic method to start with lures or something?

You'll need a Beachcaster rod then, go for a 12ft or 13ft Rod at first ;)

I wouldn't spend loads of money on gear at first, I've been Sea Fishing for quite a while now and I still use the same Rods as I started with..

Your best bet Is to find a local Fisherman and ask what Species are about as then I could give you some more In depth knowledge and tips, ask 'em what Bait they use as It varies with different marks.

I wouldn't start with Lures, In my opinion you can't beat a good natural bait!

Any questions just ask away, PM me If you like.

Butch

You'll need a Beachcaster rod then, go for a 12ft or 13ft Rod at first ;)

I wouldn't spend loads of money on gear at first, I've been Sea Fishing for quite a while now and I still use the same Rods as I started with..

Your best bet Is to find a local Fisherman and ask what Species are about as then I could give you some more In depth knowledge and tips, ask 'em what Bait they use as It varies with different marks.

I wouldn't start with Lures, In my opinion you can't beat a good natural bait!

Any questions just ask away, PM me If you like.

Butch

cheers for the help mate.

Guest bullterrier

as butch said 12 to 13 foot beach caster a fixed spool reel for your main line i would go for 15lb and don't forgot shock leader but try some of the sea mags they do some good deals on starter kits hope this helps .. :thumbs: ..john

Yea, make sure you add Shockleader to your Mainline, you need to tie It onto the Mainline and then wrap It 'round the Spool a few times and snip It off at the end of the Rod.

The Idea Is that It takes to strain off the Lighter Mainline whilst you cast ;)

Butch