bsa ultra - charging etc

hi all,

just got myself a bsa ultra .22 and I think my best option for charging will be to get a diving canister and keep charging that up, which one do I need to look out for? I will get a 3litre one but what bar of pressure do I need to get etc etc?

Thanks for your help.

Guest Scuba1
hi all,

just got myself a bsa ultra .22 and I think my best option for charging will be to get a diving canister and keep charging that up, which one do I need to look out for? I will get a 3litre one but what bar of pressure do I need to get etc etc?

Thanks for your help.

As the pressure tank on the Ultra is so small I would buy a pump instead because it only takes 2 minutes to charge it from a 110 to 190 bar. Its cheaper then a diving cylinder and you don't have to pay to get the cylinder filled, no hassle with testing it every 2 years and it is a bit of exercise for free.

ATB

Michael

thanks for the reply guys,

I was in two minds with the pump I believe it will take around 50 pumps or so to fill it? its just incase I ever get another gun I was thinking it would be useless for that as it would take too long, and thats IF I did, the shop said a 300 bar canister but if your charging only 200 bar then Im sure a 232 is ample for the task??

Thanks for the advise

Guest Scuba1

I was in two minds with the pump I believe it will take around 50 pumps or so to fill it? its just incase I ever get another gun I was thinking it would be useless for that as it would take too long, and thats IF I did, the shop said a 300 bar canister but if your charging only 200 bar then Im sure a 232 is ample for the task??

Thanks for the advise

With a 3 litre tank at 234 bar it is not going to get you that many fills because you will want to fill the gun to around the 190 mark and most dive shops will either fill to 200 or 300 bar. They will fill to 220 but by the time the cylinder has cooled of after the fill you are going to be left with 200 to 210 thus giving you just 20 bar max to play with and that is not a lot with a 3 litre cylinder.

HTH

Michael

Thanks for the advise

With a 3 litre tank at 234 bar it is not going to get you that many fills because you will want to fill the gun to around the 190 mark and most dive shops will either fill to 200 or 300 bar. They will fill to 220 but by the time the cylinder has cooled of after the fill you are going to be left with 200 to 210 thus giving you just 20 bar max to play with and that is not a lot with a 3 litre cylinder.

HTH

Michael

so reallistically how many fills do you think out of the one canister? thanks

Guest Scuba1

I don't know the exact volume of the pressure tank on the Ultra plus the hose to fill will be at zero bar when you start to fill. But I would think that somewhere between 6 and 10 fills out of a 3 litre bottle would be it in a real life scenario.

HTH

Michael

P.s. I have 2X 12 litre tanks at 234 bar and am thinking of getting a pump for my AA410. Sporty I know :D

Edited by Scuba1
I don't know the exact volume of the pressure tank on the Ultra plus the hose to fill will be at zero bar when you start to fill. But I would think that somewhere between 6 and 10 fills out of a 3 litre bottle would be it in a real life scenario.

HTH

Michael

P.s. I have 2X 12 litre tanks at 234 bar and am thinking of getting a pump for my AA410. Sporty I know :D

thanks, i was told i needed a 300 bar bottle, however the gun requires to be 200bar, so i really cant see a problem with a 234? even after the dip in pressure as it will stil be 200bar?? do you agree?

thanks

Guest Scuba1

The thing is you are going to take out some pressure with every fill, and if you only have a 200 bar fill you can fill the gun once before the pressure in the bottle drops under 200 and that will be the end of that then. So you will be running back and forth to the local dive shop a lot longer then it will take to use a pump IMHO

ATB

Michael

Guest Scuba1

Ask at the shop how much they charge to fill a cylinder ...... because some of them take a fiver a pop plu the 234 bar is the max working pressure of that cylinder and no dive shop will fill to that pressure.H&S and all that jazz.

Edited by Scuba1

I used my pump to fill a mates Ultra up and it only took under 5 mins from empty to do it. I did the same with my S-TYPE'S 500cc buddy bottle and it took 45mins to fill :icon_eek: I thought I was back in the fooking army again as doing the buddy bottle with the pump made me feel like I'd done a 30 K yomp across the moors :o

Doing the Ultra was a breeze as it was just like jogging 10 yards to catch a bus :) I now have a 12 litre 300 bar dive bottle for buddy bottles. I suppose what I'm trying to say is it's no biggie to have a pump on smaller chamber guns as Scuba suggests, and if you are going for a pump then don't settle for anything less than the Hills pump with the Dry-Pak system to keep all the moisture and particles out of your gun. All the other makes with the so called filters in them just don't work near as good and definately do not keep moisture out of your rifles internals.

Thanks for the advise

HTH

Michael

Mines quite a bit bigger than 3 litre though not exactly sure.

Iv got an ultra aswell mate. Not sure exactly what litre the diving bottle is as i got it off a mate but i know its 234bar if thats any help.

How many fills do you get out of that mate ?

Not really sure either to be quite honest lol my dad uses it aswell for an air arms s410 which has a larger canister than the ultra but i get it filled maybes every 3 month and do quite a bit of shooting :thumbs:

Guest Scuba1

Diving cylinders come 3,5,10,12,15 and 18 litres. In Europe mostly made of steel with working pressures of 200 and 300 bar. But not every dive shop can fill the 300 bar ones. So if you want something that is not to heavy and still give you a fair few fills, get a 10 litre 300bar cylinder, but ask at the local dive shop first if the can fill to that pressure.

HTH

Michael

Edited by Scuba1