UNDIGGABLE HEARTS

HI all I'm back on the forum after a long time.

Now I'd like to know your opinion on working undiggable earts,in the area I hunt every eart is in rock or under stones so big you will need a Caterpillar to move them.If we want to hunt we have to try and bolt the quarry but every time i'm so worried abot the dog that my hunting is very limited.My russel will not stay too long but 2 days ago he had the quarry bottled not more than 1 m deep and he stayed there more than 3 ours,belive me its really frustrating :( ,what will you do in this situation:try to call the dog back or put another dog in to try a bolt ?

what you do when you have to work rock dens?what tipe of dog will you use in rock dens

Bolt or kill.........I think thats what the standard should be for the coulored terriers........if the quarry is of the type that cant be bolted or killed if you cant dig you would be a fool to enter.......if your permision or hunting is all on a pest control basis and not for sport then the terrier will have to be entered (again only if its a beatable quarry) .......you will at sometime loose a terrier if you cant dig all you can do is wait.........its a hard life being a terrier and sometimes a short one .........one of the reasons a lot of terriermen have a big kennels.

Guest buster

My opinion I wouldnt entertain my dogs going to ground in a quarry and u should never put 2 dogs in together cause one will get smashed to pieces caues the other one will push the other one into the fox :no:

The real problem is that here is rock or nothing some of our sets are real impressive we have 10 ole porcupine sets going down to for meters under stones as big as a truck and badger sets that have to be seen to be belived.for now I prefere to use a good bolting dog as my russell as I know he will not get locked to the quarry in those hell sets and he will not stay too much,I think a real hard dog taking punishment will not last to long here unless you use him only in the smallest sets were bolting is easy.I've seen hard jagd terriers come out half death after 3 or 4 days and not being of any use for the rest of their life

another problem in those big set is that you can find different tipe of quarry in the same sets e.g. fox and porcupines,or fox and badger.

what do you think about that?thank for the replies I really like to confrontate different stiles of hunting in different countries.

Well mate if i was at an undigable spot i would think long and hard before i put my dogs in.

What sort of dog to use would depend on the quarry species,

In my opinion in those sort of places a sensible dog is the only choice,a bayer, no more.

If you cant dig it you have to rely on the dog either killing the quarry and coming out, or bolting it.

If the quarry cant be killed, and won't bolt you have a long wait on your hands while a hard dog either gets killed or mauled half to death.

The problem with sensible dogs (or jibbers as some people call them) is that you only really know you have one when they come away from their quarry becuase they can't do anything else with it and as such will probably not be kept for working by many people.

They do have their uses though and that is the sort of dog i would probably use.

Just my opinion mate