There is little to choose between Canon & Nikon these days, and the cameras mentioned will both produce decent pics.

I prefer Canon myself, but I've used Nikons in the past and have found that they produce a slightly better image "straight out of the packet". You get the most out of a Canon by shooting RAW and spending a little time processing. But that is more down to the software than the actual camera. I think that Canon's autofocus system is second to none, couple that with excellent high ISO performance, and you have a good camera for action shots.

I think the Canon range of lens is slightly better than Nikon, top notch Nikon glass teands to be more expensive than Canon L Lenses, but if you're buying 3rd party lenses then the price will be the same.

There are other dslrs about now, which are equally well specified and also produce excellent images, Sony have entered the market & caused a bit of a rumble... I'd advise a trip to a camera shop to have a close look at both cameras. At the end of the day there is little to choose and it may come down to how comfortable they are to hold.

Not wanted to make your decision harder but before choosing give some thought to what lens you'll be using mostly. Neither the Canon or Nikon have inbody stabalization so you'll might have to buy a lens with it, which can cost a lot. Sony, Pentax and Samsung have stabalization built into the camera body which makes their lenses far cheaper.

Of the two I'd go for the Nikon, and I say that as a Canon user. Nikon have a slight edge over Canon at the moment. But as others have said, pop down to your local camera shop and hold them, you might find the Canon grip a bit too small.