clays/pigeon

Guest air gunner

Guest air gunner

Hi i have done a fair bit of clay pigeon shooting over the past and may soon have the chance to go decoying. My question is "is there a difference in tecnique to shooting clays and pigeons?" i mean when shooting clays i have only really shot on coming ones or ones that are moving away from me. but pigeons are likely to come from all angles. so do i need to aim in front of the bird? aim at the head etc. just some quick tips please to a succesfull tecnique.

hi

I do a lot of pigeon shooting and a lot more clay shooting. when shooting anything with shotguns you don't 'aim'. you just stare at the target and let your brain work it out. DO NOT AIM or you will miss. as for where they are coming from they should approach from the front but it depends on the wind and how and where you set up. if you have the wind on your back then they will come from in front or behind but will always land facing into the wind, when they open there wings wide and are about to land is the easiest time to shoot them, but if you miss they will flare of in any direction and they make for very good challenging shots. it would be a good idea to shoot some clays that are crossing and quartering away/towards you as well as clays dropping in front of you. good luck, post up how you got on.

because if you AIM......you would be aiming at the moving target...so when the shot arrives at the aim point the bird/clay has gone.

so you point your shot gun ahead of the target at the point you think it will hit , dead easy........lol.

hope that makes sense.

cheers

sean

because if you AIM......you would be aiming at the moving target...so when the shot arrives at the aim point the bird/clay has gone.

so you point your shot gun ahead of the target at the point you think it will hit , dead easy........lol.

hope that makes sense.

cheers

sean

you dont want to be aiming in front of a target, all you want to do is look at the target as if you were going to kill it by looking at it and then let your brain work out where to put your gun. if your aiming your gun then you cant be properly looking at the target. when shooting you should only be aware of where your gun is and no more than that.