Stock Refinishing Service to The Hunting Life Members

Hi, well my love of wood (no puns thank you! :rolleyes: ) has spilled over to stock repair and refinishing. I have, over a short period of time worked on a great number of stocks from a straight forward recoil pad fitting to a refinish to repairing a stock that has been snapped in half by an over zealous owner in an attempt to use said item as a priest, which went from this

new029.jpg

and

new028.jpg

to this

sablefinnished002.jpg

and

sablefinnished001.jpg

I also do a lot of work for the local gun trade but I wanted to offer this service direct to you guys and girls with thanks to the moderators who have allowed me to post this. I prefer to do hand rubbed oil finishes for my clients. The oil I use is completely waterproof. Gloss is your choice, anything from low lustre to high gloss. Also how dark the stain is up to you within the constraints of the wood. By the time the checkering is coated (which usually only has two very thin coats, this keeps the checkering in it's original beauty). My stocks have 8 to 12 coats of finish. I don't like varnish but if thatâs what you want so be it. I prefer linseed oil mix as do many Gun enthusiasts, but this can be very time consuming palming boiled linseed oil into the wood if done properly can and should take anything up to three months as linseed oil takes a lot of time to go off properly between coats which makes this process very expensive. Also, linseed oil on it's own is not very durable. A true oil finish on the other hand, produces a great result and is very hard wearing and ages very well (the benefit of this is that it can be done at a very reasonable rate). I am always happy to give my opinion, but at the end of the day it's your stock. Some people who have given me their stocks have had them done because they don't like the factory finish or because the stock has seen a hard life. Unlike a lot of gun shops I don't charge the earth. Usually I'm between 30-40% cheaper because I don't have the premises and the staff to pay for and all my work is done from home all you are paying for is my time, materials and postage both ways, or if you preffer and it is convienient you can drop off and collect upon receipt of your stock if you are not happy with something just come straight back to me and I will rectify any problems. One thing that I do pride myself in, well two is that I treat every stock as though it was my own and I will keep in touch with you throughout the process via email and pictures. The whole process takes anything from a week to three months in the case of linseed oil finnishes, but what I would say is pm me with your details and questions and I can give you prices and any advice that you may require. I preffer if all questions and prices are only discussed via email or PM. Just to let you know that at the moment I do not re stock and if there is checkering to be done I have a gentleman who has been doing this for the last 30 years who I give checkering work to. If you have had your stock done by me please do not hesitate to leave me feedback on this topic or any positive comments from everyone else. Here are a few more examples of my finished products. But please exscuse the picture quality I have never had a David Baily streak in me.

baikalaSXSfinished006.jpg

new027.jpg

010.jpg

(exscuse the fluff)

AYAFINNISH2.jpg

stocksrefinnish025.jpg

baikallg.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

dazzs.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

004-3.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010422.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010424.jpg

001-12.jpg

HPIM1316Small.jpg

HPIM1318Small.jpg

HPIM1319Small.jpg

Edited by straightshooter
  • 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry guys haven't been on much but have been really busy

firstly Claybusersal thanks for the complement as for referals that would be great for every 5 referals you get a freebie!

Hi the verminator yep heard of them and just checked out there web site now thats an impresive set up

• 9 months later...

Respect your work and share your passion for all things wood. As a stocker for the past 40 years if I can be of any help with tips or just to chat over a problem, I am hapy to help anyone with your pasion. Good luck keep rubbing REgards Sage.

• 2 months later...