Training 11month old pup

Hi All,

I have an 11month old pup that i'm quite proud of. I confess that my training is not the best in the world and know that there are several threads on the subject.

He has nailed a Myxi rabbit during the day time and i am keeping his confidence up by ferreting he jumps the nets and is ok with commands. My question is though he is retreiving a dummy to hand he still runs wide on an open field. I keep taking him back to a now corridor to try correct this.

you thoughts and is there anything else i can try to get to retreive to an open area.

Regards Roger

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Hi All,

I have an 11month old pup that i'm quite proud of. I confess that my training is not the best in the world and know that there are several threads on the subject.

He has nailed a Myxi rabbit during the day time and i am keeping his confidence up by ferreting he jumps the nets and is ok with commands. My question is though he is retreiving a dummy to hand he still runs wide on an open field. I keep taking him back to a now corridor to try correct this.

you thoughts and is there anything else i can try to get to retreive to an open area.

Regards Roger

You say he runs wide, this is normally a sign that you have been taking the dummy to early off him.

Your right to go back to the corridor, but if you through a dummy outside, try to do it in a door way at home first and with plenty of encouragement on the return.

Once he has these perfect take him back out into the field, and find a gap in a hedge to through a dummy, this will funnel him in back to you and hopefully produce a good retreive.

Hopefully that helps

If you fancy a trip to braintree one day i will be happy to try and help in any way i can

all the best

Alex

Ps what dog is it

Edited by alexewers
Thanks for your reply Alex

He is a lurcher X. I will try your tip many thanks

regards Roger.

there was a thing on horse and country the other day similar to this , the guy recommended to stand against a wall , hedge gap sounds a better idea