Good Prospects..............

The night was looking good.

I had planned on going for a shine last night, the fact that by 6pm I still couldn't see 50 yards in front of me due to the fog put me off just a touch! Shining the lamp out of the backdoor and it being like having the car on full beam didn't bode well for a good night, so I stayed in. With a plan for tonight.

I went out today, put the rifle up on paper. Shooting well with these new round, and I was happy with what I was seeing. So for lamping.......

Tonight was totally different.

A good bit of cloud cover, no moon, slight breeze and a light drizzle. I thought my luck had changed!

Geared up, all loaded into the car, fully charged battery, good few rounds in the box and the mag, just incase I saw a couple!

Off I went, my first patch. Only a small piece of ground, but its all poultry. I've done a lot of shooting on this ground, foxes more than anything else, when I had just the shotgun, I used to sit and call them here. I know it well, and I walked it as normal. On two neighbouring fields there are ditches, filled with rushes. Best to avoid these I find, though I have driven a quad into one of them!

All the fields here are sloping, down into a tree line, makes for interesting noise when you let a centrefire off here :yes: Walking along the top edge after shining the first field, something made me flinch, something hit the back of my jacket, bloody branches! :laugh:

I walked on, through a gate and looking down into a bowl of a field, which bends away to the left, out of sight. To my right and infront about 250 yards is the other ditch. I stopped on top here, and shined the field from left to right. I caught a pair of eyes about 180 yards in front, poking half out of a patch of rush. He'd been lamped before! WAM in my mouth, I called. He had heard that before as well! Lamp off. Pod out, on the ground, seemed like no time.

Lamp back on, he was still there, though had gone about 40 yards on. I called again. He ran again about 20 yards he trotted before I coughed. He was just about broadside to me, against the edge of the ditch. Crosshairs we're already on the centre of the engine room, right where I wanted them. Boooom! The thud off those trees around here is something else! I knew he was hit. I saw him take a few steps before falling into the ditch.

I was quite happy by now, been out about 20 minutes or so, and I had one fox down. I put the lamp & battery down, along with the rifle. Took my little LED torch thingy out of its holder, and went for a walk.

Through the ankle height rush to the ditch, being careful not to slip into it. Nearly done it a few times. I knew where he had fell to within a few feet. Between a patch of bramble to my left and a small hawthorn bush in the hedge. I couldn't see him at first glance. So I went as far into the ditch as I dared. No damn sign of him! I looked for about 20 minutes or so. I walked the left side of the ditch both ways, and the right side both ways. No sign. I hadn't missed. There was blood on the grass about where I had shot him.

Damn and Blast!! (The air was slightly more blue than that :yes: )

He must be there somewhere! I'll ask the farmer if he'll take a look with his Rotties tomorrow. Heaven knows, they killed enough foxes when they were younger.

I walked on and finished off the farm. It was still drizzling lightly. The weather was still on my side. Foxes? Not on my side it seems. On this patch, I saw no more. I've taken three off this place this year, unusually low numbers.

Before I left, I stood at the top of the first field, its a great view and vantage point. I squeaked there for a bit. And A bunny appeared about 150 yards out, coming from the ditch in this field (Damn ditches, Hide & Seek in the damn things). Wrong thing to do wee bunny :D Lamp off, down on the Pod.

Pointed in the general direction, Lamp on.

Half inch above his head, looking at me, Booom, Thudddd! Those trees at it again :laugh:

I went to inspect. Fearing the worst, after that Fox earlier, thinking I must have wounded him. No such luck. Perfect headshot, I was happy :D Bunny for Dinner, perhaps with my Pheasant tomorrow? :hmm:

Back to the car, the weather was being good. Staying as I wanted it. I pulled into another farm. Still local, I wasn't venturing far tonight.

Now walking around this farm was a damn nightmare! This is when I get on my high horse, and mumble in my head about bloody farmers. This farm, as with the other big one I have, still have cattle out on ground which is waterlogged. I struggled to get anywhere. It's like walking three times as far by the time you have walked through all the cattle prints in the ground, and slipped and slid around the place. Too mean to take the cows into the yard and feed them. Wait till he sees the state of the ground next year when he needs it :yes:

Anyway, I walked it, and this place it's very rare you see nothing. Especially with all the Pheasants about the place. Nows the time I see a good few. After trudging for what felt like miles around the place? Not one seen. It began to rain a bit heavier. I went and took a bit of cover under a tree for a few minutes when it emptied down.

I thought, I'll stay here for a few mins to see if it eases. The Oak above my head groaning with the wind picking up, and the rain ever heavier.

I made a go of it to the car. Through the yard. And up the lane. Quickest way I know of to escape a pretty fruitless night Fox wise. I don't know how to interpret the lack of foxes tonight. Whether there are actually a few less about here from the heavy shooting in Spring/Summer, or I'm just not seeing them.

Anyway. I came home and dried off, and dried off the rifle, ready for next time. I have a couple of pics.

SS :thumbs:

PC170737.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg

Guest JohnGalway

Your fox is in that ditch or at worst nearby in those rushes from what ya told me :yes: LED light is a waste of time for searching though, Niall had mine when we were out that night and it was worse than I remembered. Too bright without lighting up anything and washes the colour out of most stuff, better to bring the lamp. I bet the rotties will find him though :thumbs:

Update for you on my troublesome fox. :yes:

I rang the farmer this morning and explained it all to him. Told him that I'd shot a fox, knew he was down there somewhere. And that he isn't likely to have gone far.

He was happy enough that there was one, "Nearly Dead". So I asked him, when he takes the dogs out, put them in the ditch, see if there's anything there, if not, then he is well and truly lost.

He just rang me now. "Dogs had fun with that fox s'afternoon" :D :D

He was about 15 yards from where I shot him, 15 yards down the ditch from that Hawthorn bush in the hedge :yes:

I asked what condition he was in, "Oh you nailed the b*****d in the right place" he said :laugh: Seems it was pure adrenaline and me walking past him in the rushes in the bottom of the ditch :yes: Dog fox too.

No chance of a Picture with the state he was in after the dogs so I'm told :laugh:

SS :thumbs: