Gamekeeping Work Experience

I am 14 nerly 15 and i wanted to do an interesting job for work experience.

I thought of game keeping, but ive been told it would be very hard to get a chance...

I was wondering if you anyone would be able to give advice on what i should ask the estate owner.

Also what kind of things would they have in mind for me doing.

Thanks.

[Hi there, I used to work in estate management so I can tell you what I would have responded best to!!

Managers / keepers are generally (!) busy people so it is probably best to write a letter rather than phone or drop in. Make sure its polite, with proper spelling and grammar! It might sound basic but 4 out of 5 letters we used to get were dreadful. Explain that you are very interested in getting into gamekeeping once you leave school and are very keen to do work experience with a game keeper. If you have experience with dogs / ferrets etc or otherwise working outdoors say so - and also mention that you are happy out of doors in all weathers and would work hard.

If you can get a good work experience place, work your socks off and turn up on time properly dressed for work.

Like I say, might sound like basics - but whenever I actually received a nice letter, properly written, I did my best to give the lad in question a chance.

Good luck!!! :victory:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blackntan
Cheers very help full. :)
go round every estate you know with a keeper ask for beating work first then when they get to know you ask can you help out weekends and after school make your self use full a keeper all ways needs a hand and good , luck

ive just done my work experience and i managed to get on a small shoot but they haven't actually got a keeper so i was left on my own but i have helped out keepers before so wasn't that bad i was just getting the pens ready for the birds like repairing wire and putting hoppers and drinkers out. then when they came in i was feeding them and he even gave me a job doing the same in the holidays which was payed i really enjoyed it its a good experience to have im going to do game keeping at college when i leave in july

hey mate try and get some beating in over the season to get to know a few keepers because they also know keepers who will be willing to help i trained as a keeper in south wales with acompany called rural pursuits it was near carmarthen dont know if there still going though worth a look

best of luck