Out for a Look.

I decided that seen as it hadn't rained here for a few days, I would risk it and try my luck after a fox. My shoot is seconds away from me, so I loaded up the wagon, all the usual Kit, Lamp, Gun, Calls, Filters, etc etc.

Off I went. By this time it was only about 8:30 but was dark. There was patchy cloud in the sky, but luckily no moon. I arrived in no time as usual and drove down the long, tree lined lane, which was pitch black and in some ways, this lane has an eerie touch to it, always makes me feel as if there are all manner of things watching me! :whistling:

Anyhow. I arrived in the "Small Yard" and parked up. Out I got, taking in the damp night air and having a general look around the place.

Batteries Strapped around my waist, lamp connected with the Red filter and Gun taken out of its sleeve and broken over my arm.

I locked the car, keys jangled into my pocket and I popped two Heavy shells into the gun. I was taking the shotgun tonight for a change. And the way I have been calling them, I was hopeful of getting them in shotgun range. I Hoped!

The ground was so drenched that I decided to lamp the most accessible, for fear of either falling flat on my face and getting filthy, or even worse, tripping with a loaded gun in my hands.

I walked the first one, lamping at every vantage point but saw nothing and so carried on to the adjoining field which is fairly high up and dry. Of a sort!

Again, lamp, move, lamp, move, Nothing! A blank night perhaps?

I walked along the long and tall hedgerow, full of Birches and Oaks. Toward a gate in the corner of the field where there is a small field which joins two larger ones on either side.

This small field is completely enclosed by Trees and is always pitch black, it has trouble lighting up Mid-Day

Anyway, I walked through, and lamped it, its about 60 yards by 120. With a drainage ditch running parallel to the gateway.

I started to lamp the far side, coming back towards me. I got to about 40 yards from me when I saw "those" eyes. I swapped the lamp from my right to my left and mounted my Gun, I drew the bead down on its chest. The fox transfixed the whole time, but then it took only 4 or 5 seconds. BANG!!

A 6" flame and a plume of smoke in the dark field. But Charlie had folded on the spot, and with his last kick, rolled into the flooded drain.

Now I'm sorry, I wasn't going to clamber down and fall into that drain just for a picture of a dead fox! :laugh: But I had a closer inspection, I Think it was a dog, full grown, perhaps last years, But what I am sure about is, that this one wasn't tucking in to any more poults. :gunsmilie:

Regards

SS :thumbs:

I decided that seen as it hadn't rained here for a few days, I would risk it and try my luck after a fox. My shoot is seconds away from me, so I loaded up the wagon, all the usual Kit, Lamp, Gun, Calls, Filters, etc etc.

Off I went. By this time it was only about 8:30 but was dark. There was patchy cloud in the sky, but luckily no moon. I arrived in no time as usual and drove down the long, tree lined lane, which was pitch black and in some ways, this lane has an eerie touch to it, always makes me feel as if there are all manner of things watching me! :whistling:

Anyhow. I arrived in the "Small Yard" and parked up. Out I got, taking in the damp night air and having a general look around the place.

Batteries Strapped around my waist, lamp connected with the Red filter and Gun taken out of its sleeve and broken over my arm.

I locked the car, keys jangled into my pocket and I popped two Heavy shells into the gun. I was taking the shotgun tonight for a change. And the way I have been calling them, I was hopeful of getting them in shotgun range. I Hoped!

The ground was so drenched that I decided to lamp the most accessible, for fear of either falling flat on my face and getting filthy, or even worse, tripping with a loaded gun in my hands.

I walked the first one, lamping at every vantage point but saw nothing and so carried on to the adjoining field which is fairly high up and dry. Of a sort!

Again, lamp, move, lamp, move, Nothing! A blank night perhaps?

I walked along the long and tall hedgerow, full of Birches and Oaks. Toward a gate in the corner of the field where there is a small field which joins two larger ones on either side.

This small field is completely enclosed by Trees and is always pitch black, it has trouble lighting up Mid-Day

Anyway, I walked through, and lamped it, its about 60 yards by 120. With a drainage ditch running parallel to the gateway.

I started to lamp the far side, coming back towards me. I got to about 40 yards from me when I saw "those" eyes. I swapped the lamp from my right to my left and mounted my Gun, I drew the bead down on its chest. The fox transfixed the whole time, but then it took only 4 or 5 seconds. BANG!!

A 6" flame and a plume of smoke in the dark field. But Charlie had folded on the spot, and with his last kick, rolled into the flooded drain.

Now I'm sorry, I wasn't going to clamber down and fall into that drain just for a picture of a dead fox! :laugh: But I had a closer inspection, I Think it was a dog, full grown, perhaps last years, But what I am sure about is, that this one wasn't tucking in to any more poults. :gunsmilie:

Regards

SS :thumbs:

ALL GOOD STUFF MATE :victory::victory: