Help for heroes

as a Rugby Union nut, I want to post this

August 7, 2008

Logan joins Help for Heroes cause

Kenny Logan has become the latest rugby legend to join the Help for Heroes cause.

The former Scotland winger and Strictly Come Dancing star will waltz his way into Twickenham Stadium for the match on September 20 (kick off 2.30pm).

Logan, whose 13 year international career earned him 70 caps for Scotland, is joined by the World Cup winning Wallaby Jeremy Paul, 2004 Heineken Cup winner Paul Volley and Samoan international Zak Feaunati.

Logan, Paul, and Feaunati will line up alongside Jonah Lomu and Scott Gibbs in the International XV, whilst Volley will join Lawrence Dallaglio’s Help for Heroes XV featuring Martin Johnson and Will Greenwood.

Logan, who came fifth in the hit 2007 BBC1 TV show Strictly Come Dancing, will come up against another Strictly contestant, England rugby league legend Martin Offiah, who finished fourth in the 2004 series.

“I’m absolutely thrilled to be involved with Help for Heroes and really looking forward to playing at Twickenham again with so many great players,†said Logan.

“It’s a fantastic cause and I think every rugby fan will want to be there to show their support.â€

Best known for his rampaging runs and powerful drives from the scrum, former Bath Rugby and Samoan Number 8, Feaunati said, “I have friends and family who have served or know someone who has served in the forces.

“As a rugby player you don’t get many opportunities to play for such a worthwhile cause and this is our chance to give something back. I’m privileged to be asked to play.â€

Chairman of the PRA, David Barnes said, “The Help for Heroes game is a fantastic opportunity to support our wounded servicemen and women, and the PRA are immensely proud that many of our former members are putting on their rugby boots to take part in the action.

“It’s great to see former PRA Award winners Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dallaglio and Jonah Lomu amongst those getting involved. It promises to be quite a rugby spectacle, and I hope that as many people as possible will be going down to Twickenham to see the game and raise as much money as possible for Help the Heroes and our injured troops.â€

Simon Halliday, Help for Heroes Committee member said, "On behalf of the Help for Heroes Challenge Match selection committee I'm delighted with the way the two teams are building for the match.

"I would encourage anyone who hasn't bought a ticket for this unique occasion to buy one as they will be able to see a whole series of world class players and legends who have already made themselves available.

"The cause is such a worthy one and the £1m we aim to raise from the game will go a long way in helping the rehabilitation of our service personnel injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Further players will be added from the armed services along with some young and rising stars of the future from the Guinness Premiership and we look forward to announcing those names in due course."

The Help for Heroes XV, managed by former England captain Phil de Glanville, will face an International XV managed by Ieuan Evans. The match aims to raise £1million for Help for Heroes charity and the care and rehabilitation of injured British service personnel who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Tickets for the Help for Heroes match on September 20 are available from Ticketmaster on 0844 8472492 or www.Ticketmaster.co.uk

Tickets are priced from £20 for adults, £10 for juniors (under 16) with a family ticket for two adults and two children costing £50.00.

Edited by Don Reid