Christ Harry Mac, you've been about the place a bit with your .308 fella !!

WAB

It's a god awful job, but somebody's got to do it! A posting to Germany, a Bosnia deployment to save up the money for the African safari and an end of service gratuity to finance the Estonia trip all helped. I certainly aint no international jet setter. The yacht and the birds would be welcome though!

a bullet which is slow and heavy is the rule for boar (and any other woodland beast for that matter) and this includes heavy woodland stags, boar and so on. .308 is perfect. It's good even for roe deer as you don't get the meat damage often seen with very fast but smaller bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

yea dont shoot i em behind the shoulder they ARE NOT DEER you shoot them in front of the shoulder at the high part of the base of their neck and you will drop them every time shot placement is key hell ive hunted them with a 22 mag revolver and a 40 will be fine but at that kind of distance the hunters nerves play a way bigger part of the equation than the caliber. 223 is fine but like it was said before i would not want a beginer with a 223 . 243 through 30-06 is plenty enough gun just practice shooting the damn thing if you can hit it in the right spot you can kill it with anything

• 2 months later...

hi, the 308 does the job. i've always used 30.06 spr. the advantage of 308 and 3006 is the choice of bullet available.

for the serious boar hunter the 9.3 calibers are very good as is the 8x57 mauser. as mentioned in another post you got to hit them in the right place( don't try to head shoot pigs!!!) as a blood trailer i have followed a few up,and the boiler house is the place to go( remember the heart sits deeper in a pig than you think)

good shooting lads/lasses