training deer dogs

Hi guys, just wondering at what age would you introduce a dog to deer, or would it just depend on the level of obediance training reached with the dog.

Hope this does'nt sound a silly question.

Doozer I have always maintained getting pups out as early as possible with trained dogs, possibly from 6 weeks of age, this is with pigdogs though, I know a few great dog trainers and for deer they recomend at least 8 - 9 months minimum and yes the say that good basic obedience is the key.

i started taking my spaniel out with me about a year ago, he's normally wild as a hawk so i would leave him in the car as a back up incases something went wrong as he has a serious nose on him. anyway after the first few mornings and some success he twigged that while i was away these deer were getting shot and he quite fancied joining in. anyway he started to get into a habit of barking and whining when i left him; so i thought i would see if he would be alright coming with me. justincase i had him on a lead, he was ok but when we got into a stalk and i was about to take a shot i thought i better quickly trie him to a tree just to my right. anyway he got too excited, chewed throught the lead in about 3 seconds flat and carted off straight after this buck.

however after a stern telling off he has never put a foot wrong since. he is better of the lead than on, does not go further than 3' from my left boot, only noise he makes is a very quiet snuffling noise when he catches the wind of a deer or fox. if i lay down and stadt crawling he will stay where he is and lay down. i fire a shot and he doesn't shift and inch, then i tell him to get on and he'll work the direction i was facing until he finds the beast.

i owe that dog a lot as there have been several deer that would have been stalked over if my lad hadn't givn a bit of a snuffle to warn me. also i had a shot last year that went wrong slightly and he pulled the doe down before it had got fifty yards. good dog but only sarted him when he was 4-ish, glad i did though as it adds an extra level of confidence to going out with a rifle.

on-point

Thanks for that on-point, just proves its never too late. I think i will just take my time and as she gets a little more steady i may introduce her slowly every now and then untill gets the idea!!

What about letting her have some of the meat from the kill? would this increase her want to find, or perhaps encourage her to hunt off to find the own!!!! (without me)

:thumbdown: