Night shooting

When I first bought my HW100 I wasn't really thinking about night shooting. I went for the Hawke 3-9x50 MAP 6 scope, which I am really pleased with, it was easy to zero and on my first shot at live quarry with the new setup I got a rabbit just behind the eye at 25-30 yards :)

Anyway, I am now thinking about shooting at night and looking at getting something like a Logun lamp

( http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Accessories/Lamps.htm see towards the bottom of this page) would this combination of lamp and scope be OK or am I going to struggle to see the cross hairs accurately or even at all? Am I going to need to shell out on getting a scope with illuminated cross-hairs?

Thanks for the help,

Aleks

Edited by AShaw

hello aleks

your scope will be fine.......illuminated cross hairs are for low light conditions, which a decent light will over rule.

i use a 12v 50w night searcher.....which is an excellent lamp. (£115)

at lot of people don't rate the logun lamp......deben seem to be more popular.

i would say a 50w lamp is more than enough, mine shines out to around 200 yds.......and with the red filter on....approx 100yds.

which, with an air rifle is overkill, but, its useful for picking up eyes in the distance..then stalking in.

it suprising how much easier they are to spot with a lamp.

at this time of year on our permission, its not worth going till after dark.....so wouldn't be without mine

hope this helps

all the best

sean

When I first bought my HW100 I wasn't really thinking about night shooting. I went for the Hawke 3-9x50 MAP 6 scope, which I am really pleased with, it was easy to zero and on my first shot at live quarry with the new setup I got a rabbit just behind the eye at 25-30 yards :)

Anyway, I am now thinking about shooting at night and looking at getting something like a Logun lamp

( http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Accessories/Lamps.htm see towards the bottom of this page) would this combination of lamp and scope be OK or am I going to struggle to see the cross hairs accurately or even at all? Am I going to need to shell out on getting a scope with illuminated cross-hairs?

Thanks for the help,

Aleks

I use a Deben Tracer Mini (sometimes with a red filter) with a Hawke MAP (without illuminated croos-hairs) to good effect.

The only additional advice I would suggest is to buy the version with a brightness control. I find sometimes a sudden blast of strong white light scares the s**t out of the bunnies and they b***er off rapido. With the dimmer switch you can switch on at low power to pick out the twinkle in their eyes then having identified your target gently increase the power for the perfect shot. I mount the switch at the left hand side of fore end of the stock and you can switch on and increase power with your thumb while still keeping the gun aligned to target.

HTH