my dog licks her feet is it ok to use methylated spirits on her feet , she licks between her toes and makes them a bit red but not too bad. will the spirits deter licking .

cant see how that would help mate,maybe someone will prove me wrong,more than likely

shes always in the vets just had uterous removed due to pyometra just been for the stitches out today but at the minute her feet are ok but i guess shes had a bit more on her plate .but i know she will start at some point.im not sure but i think its when she goes into woodland she seems to do it so could something be irritating hrer in the woods..

does your dogs paws smell funny,are they red and swollen?theres a good chance he's injured or suffering an allergy of some kind

apparently cold tea is good for soothing the itching,applied 3-5 times a day with a cold towell.

but tea can dye the fur but doesnt last for long,antihistamines are another remedy but get one that contains diphenhydramine,benadryl contains this and you can buy this over the counter

Wash the feet in lukewarm salted water after a walk. One of our dogs reacts badly, if she has been working on ground with young thistles growing.

She will lick and chew at her feet, but a salt wash usually stops it. Always have a good look for any tiny thorns in or between pads.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Seems to me that the Obvious here is that you're looking at the Symptom. Dogs don't lick their own feet - to excess - without a reason.

Reason is most likely external. Therefore enviromental. You're figuring it's the woodland walks? Fine. Like ye say, keep her out of those woods. If that works, then ye have a pretty good idea it's something within the envirens of those woods, or the route ye take to them.

What ye need to do is isolate the cause (Or the enviroment supplying that cause) and then isolate the Dog from that. You know what ye Dog gets up to. You can control her exposures. You may thus be able to work out what it is in the enviroment that causes her discomfort. Ye'll have it sorted.

Vet? They'll just sell ye the most expensive thing, off the shelf, for the first thing that comes into their heads; Anti Whatever. Then they'd keep on hitting ye for the next drug, and so on. All the time, they'd leave ye to expose ye Dog to the root cause.

See how the approaches differ? One costs ye shit and sorts ye Dog out. Other costs ye a fortune and the Dog still suffers.

Your desicion ;)

as daft as it sounds....could be whatever you clean the floor she walks on with(whether in a run or in the house).my dogs lick and nibble at there feet when i disinfect there runs.no matter how well i rinse them after!

i always water it down,swill runs out first with hosepipe,then slop disinfect,scrub with a yard brush and then rinse WELL! they still do it! just wondered if it was the cause in this lads case...

Guest dog on
my dog licks her feet is it ok to use methylated spirits on her feet , she licks between her toes and makes them a bit red but not too bad. will the spirits deter licking .
DONT rub\\ friars balsm//in them twice a week because it might cure the problem and it is to cheap to bye .perhaps if markbrick recomended it it might get used

as daft as it sounds....could be whatever you clean the floor she walks on with(whether in a run or in the house).my dogs lick and nibble at there feet when i disinfect there runs.no matter how well i rinse them after!

might well be this the wife does do the mix quite strong il have to make sure its well rinsed thanks. :clapper: :clapper: