help needed please prt 2

sorry to bother you again with a similar question. i have been training my dog now for the past week everyday and its been going ok. but there are times when she doesn't do what she is supposed to eg pick it up shake it and sit down and chew it. what do i do when this happens ,keep shouting NO FETCH like a maniac or is there a procedure for when the dog and i get it wrong.

she has been doing pretty well all considered

keep calm firstly, i'd remove the toy/dummy whatever it is you're using and remove it each time it starts to rag or shake it, make sure you aint getting into the tug of war situation and then when you can give praise when its holding it without the silliness and not be in too much of a rush to rip it out the dogs mouth, aint read the first part of your help post so you may have already done this!!!!

Good advice all round.

It's all too easy to rush ahead with training when your dog seems to be doing well.

Establish the basics. Just because you know your dog can retreive doesn't mean you should then over look heel work or basic recall.

shes not a pup shes about 3/4. she knows heel and basic recall. i thought i may aswell give it a shot, from what she has shown so far i think it is possible. i was just stuck with what to do when we get it wrong. she doesnt play with toys at home nor do i play tug of war with her. so is doing it everyday too much then. i do only have her do it 3/4 times then let her have a run. it will be hard work just with the nature of the dog but im rely determined to pull it off. at the moment she will do it 3/4 times usually the fourth she will start shaking it so i only do it three times so we end on a good note

thanks fors the advice

you say sghe's about 3/4, in years I presume??? Does that mean you didn’t have her as a pup, who did you acquire her from and did they start training her with the intentions of working her. If not, that might be your problem; it’s quite possible bad habits have been taught way before you became involved with her.

you say sghe's about 3/4, in years I presume??? Does that mean you didn’t have her as a pup, who did you acquire her from and did they start training her with the intentions of working her. If not, that might be your problem; it’s quite possible bad habits have been taught way before you became involved with her.
yes thats years. i did take this into consideration as we got her from a rescue home and she was quite badly behaved when we got her. i have taken most of that out of her. i could very well be waisting my time but she has showed me some slight promise and only started shaking it when she became evidently bored. i dont know who had her she had no history. we got her from a very respectable dog shelter in kendle.

i get the impression you are a dog handler of some kind from other posts you have posted on different topics, which gives me the idea that you are going to tell me i am wasting my time.( which i can understand btw) but it cant do any harm trying and plus i love a challenge or maybe even a mission impossible

I don't think it will be a waste of time, just take a little longer. You are undoing all the bad behaviour she has been allowed to get away with before you got her.

You need to treat her training as though you are training a pup. Have you got the Eric Begbie ebook?? if not i may be able to help you out with a copy.

I don't think it will be a waste of time, just take a little longer. You are undoing all the bad behaviour she has been allowed to get away with before you got her.

You need to treat her training as though you are training a pup. Have you got the Eric Begbie ebook?? if not i may be able to help you out with a copy.

no i dont that would be greatly appreciated. honestly if she can pull it off i will be over the moon. i am taking it v.slow at the moment. i have her tied to a length of parachord so i can give her a quick nudge if she strays( is this right)

yes thats years. i did take this into consideration as we got her from a rescue home and she was quite badly behaved when we got her. i have taken most of that out of her. i could very well be waisting my time but she has showed me some slight promise and only started shaking it when she became evidently bored. i dont know who had her she had no history. we got her from a very respectable dog shelter in kendle.

i get the impression you are a dog handler of some kind from other posts you have posted on different topics, which gives me the idea that you are going to tell me i am wasting my time.( which i can understand btw) but it cant do any harm trying and plus i love a challenge or maybe even a mission impossible

The only way you can deal with it is to stage manage a chase and nailing her when she runs in.Try going out with a friend ..your friend will have a dummy attached to his arm with a long piece of string.Place the dummy in some long grass so the dog has to hunt up..keep the dog close only blow turn whistle when you yourself turn away from the dog ,this forces the dog to qrt close as the dog hunts up to the dummy, the dummy will be pulled along the ground in front of her to simulate a rabbit being bolted ,you are going to blow the stop whistle and get after her for ignoring the whistle if she chases.You pick yer dog up to the point where she moved blow the stop whistle in her ear.Repeat the exercise again without her seeing where youve placed the dummy.Basically your trying to entice her to chase but the difference yer controlling the situation not her.

The only way you can deal with it is to stage manage a chase and nailing her when she runs in.Try going out with a friend ..your friend will have a dummy attached to his arm with a long piece of string.Place the dummy in some long grass so the dog has to hunt up..keep the dog close only blow turn whistle when you yourself turn away from the dog ,this forces the dog to qrt close as the dog hunts up to the dummy, the dummy will be pulled along the ground in front of her to simulate a rabbit being bolted ,you are going to blow the stop whistle and get after her for ignoring the whistle if she chases.You pick yer dog up to the point where she moved blow the stop whistle in her ear.Repeat the exercise again without her seeing where youve placed the dummy.Basically your trying to entice her to chase but the difference yer controlling the situation not her.

only hunt into wind

Remember that all dogs are different, what works with one wont work with another, my springer as a pup liked a tennis ball, then his interest seemed to wane a bit, and when introducing him to water he wouldn't go in for a ball, but when he got his first dummy, we moved on and this was the key factor in his water work, now he ploughs into water on anything and blind retrieves! stopping him with his dummy was a repetetive task, as he was so keen on it you couldn't get it out your pocket without him trying to get it!!! When i say repetetive i'm talking about little and often, i prob threw his dummy some 300 times, correcting him each time he tried to run in on it, until the penny dropped that he couldn't have it till i said!!! then it came to multiple thrown dummies and sending out, stopping half way out then sending him in the order you want them in!!! the point i'm making is at the start of it, i thought i was never gonna get him steady to thrown dummies or birds, but persistance in a calm manner prevailed, all i need now is 300 rabbits to stop him running in on them!!!! in short, incourage all the things you want and correct all the things you dont!!!! and be willing to do this over and over untill you get the result you are looking for!!!!

sorry to bother you again with a similar question. i have been training my dog now for the past week everyday and its been going ok. but there are times when she doesn't do what she is supposed to eg pick it up shake it and sit down and chew it. what do i do when this happens ,keep shouting NO FETCH like a maniac or is there a procedure for when the dog and i get it wrong.

she has been doing pretty well all considered

I have read the replies and all sound like good advice, an old dog can learn new tricks have patience be in control, be clear with your commands no means no.